Do the ferals pose any risk to my indoor-only cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Do the ferals pose any risk to my indoor-only cat?

There are two sweet feral cats (siblings) who have been visiting my front porch for a long time. Someone else in my neighborhood must also have been caring for them because each one has a tipped ear. They greet me each morning and most evenings for food, and recently, they have started to sometimes rub against my leg as I put the food out. I have managed a few gentle pets when my hand is near them while putting food down, but they don't seek out petting.

My question is: do I risk passing anything to Josie, my indoor-only cat, by letting them rub against my leg? I do wash my hands if I've touched them. They look healthy and I've never seen them sneeze or anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

My major concern with the cat that lives in my front yard is fleas.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Premier Cat

There are no risks involved letting them rub against your leg or touching them with your hands.

If your indoor cat is unhealthy and has a compromised immune system then maybe if the outdoor cats showed signs of ringworm. But even ringworm isn't fatal!

Continue to love on them. Thanks for feeding them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad that these two cats are trusting me enough now to come so close, but I just didn't want to pass along any germs to make Josie sick. About the fleas, I don't see any fleas hopping off of them, but as they are outside cats I guess fleas are a definite possibility. Anything I could give them to help if there is a problem or to prevent one? Brewer's yeast or anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page