Morality of Catnapping? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Morality of Catnapping?

Hey guys -

Okay, here's the situation. A couple of weeks ago, this stray kitty started showing up in my neck of the neighborhood. Real scrawny thing, might have tooth problems (sometimes trouble eating we're guessing), loaded down with fleas and generally in a sad state. He's a real friendly fellow, will let you pet him, occasionally pick him up, is not afraid of people whatsoever - clearly he was someone's kitty.

This goes on for a while, our house and the next door neighbor feeding him (her? We're not quite sure), leaving out water and generally doing what we can to help this guy get along. The neighbor even gets him a flea collar and some of the frontline spray to help control the fleas.

So we're just on the cusp of taking him in, getting him to a vet to see if he's chipped and perhaps trying to find him a good home once we take care of him a bit. But it turns out that one day the neighbor was out grooming him when a lady walked past and goes "I see you met Thomas". It turns out that the cat belongs to her daughter - who is currently in Lebanon with her husband.

The delemma is - this is really breaking my heart. The guy is clearly neglected and in need of a good home - come on, moving to Lebanon and just leaving your cat out in the wild? That aint right. But we've now confirmed that it is indeed someone's kitty. If the rolls were reversed, and it was my boy that someone abducted and arranged a good home for, I would be devastated - but then I would never let my boy get into such a sad state of disrepair!

So . . . what do I do? Do I leave him alone? Do I just keep feeding him and taking care of the fleas? Do I abduct him and find someone who will love him?

The tentative plan - if we go ahead (which we're not entirely sold on yet) is we catnap Thomas, get him to the vet to perhaps clean him up and see if he's okay (and check for chipping), keep him in the garage for a couple of weeks to get some food into him for the coming winter and keep an eye out if "Help! My cat is lost" posters go up around the neighborhood. If nothing develops on that front, either see if we can integrate him into the household or find him someone who will love him.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:22 AM
Jr. Cat

Why would someone move to a different country without making arrangements for the cat? Did the lady who's daughter moved say whether someone was given the responsibility? To be honest if your cat is riddled with fleas and generally in a poor state you're not going to bother putting up posters. Plus you'd put a collar and id tag... X

I would go ahead with your plan... At least you know he is being looked after and not in the wild fighting all sorts to get some food... And at least you will be able to give him proper care... Worming, checking his jabs etc... Good luck! Xxx
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delders View Post
Why would someone move to a different country without making arrangements for the cat?
Unless her arrangements were "Here mom, look after my cat. Bye!" - but yeah, this seemed a very poor attempt on their part.

Quote:
Did the lady who's daughter moved say whether someone was given the responsibility?
No idea - and I'm not one to speculate since I'd be playing a game of Chinese whispers at that point. The scenario comes from my roommate who was talking to the neighbor who ran into the mother. You can see how The Facts might get confused. . . .

Quote:
I would go ahead with your plan... At least you know he is being looked after and not in the wild fighting all sorts to get some food... And at least you will be able to give him proper care... Worming, checking his jabs etc... Good luck! Xxx
Well, there's one vote of confidence. Keep the input coming guys - it'll probably be a couple of days before we can actually capture the slippery lil' fella.

Last edited by marie73; 09-30-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Cool Cat

i would continue to take care of the kitty while at the same time trying to get in touch with that mother again to confirm what the story is. it could be that if you offer to take the kitty in as your own or something, she and her daughter who's in lebanon (leaving your kitty behind like this?) might actually be REALLY relieved to have a savior step in. they are most likely just extremely ignorant about how to care for a cat. the world is full of them unfortunately. probably more than you can even imagine...

Last edited by marie73; 09-30-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: language
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Tom Cat

I think you are right to take him in. Take him to the vet, and explains how he was neglected and so on. If he isn't chipped and you provide health care to him, I don't think they have any claim over him, and could possibly be guilty of neglect.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Kitten

Catnap him. Poor thing needs help and by he sounds of it (even in Chinese whispers) the mother doesn't care about the cat.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Cat Addict

It looks as though you ahve becoem the real carer anyway, by default so I don't think you'd be doing wrong. I might make one more effort with the mother though.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Senior Cat

Catnap him. Been right there many times. First time, I gave it a lot of thought. But I did it. Second time, again, I thought about it for too long. But this time I was late. I will never forgive myself for that. So now, no half measures.

That's my vote, catnap him. Good luck with everything, you're a great person for doing this for an abandoned kitty.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Cat

I say, take him. I don't think they would care or even notice. He deserves a better life than the one he has been getting from that family. Good luck and thank for caring about him.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Premier Cat

Any person who lets a cat be in that kind of poor health should not be allowed to have a cat. If that were a child, social services would of been called by now. Any cat that wanders thru my yard in poor shape technically becomes mine!

Do not even tell the woman you have him. Take him to the vet, back home and into your heart! And that where he should stay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page