keeping the cat house safe from a storm - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

keeping the cat house safe from a storm

So hurricane sandy is coming our way. Its susposed to be really bad on tuesday.

Of course i worry about the outside cats. i wish i could trap them and let them hang out in the basement during the storm. But i know mom wouldnt let me do that.

I have a petmate dog house on my porch. I wedged it up against the side of the house. and i turned the opening towords the wall so the wind/rain doesnt get into the cat house.

I took a small wood board and pushed it against the house with some rocks holding it place. So the wind wont blow it away.

The porch is big and theres a big bush infront of it. So that cat house should stay dry.

-----------------------------------------
How do you guys keep your feral cat house safe from a crazy rain storm? how about a big snow storm?

so let me know...okay

Last edited by ThreeCatzGirl; 10-28-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Tom Cat

Mine weighs quite a bit so it sits ok normally. It's not directly exposed to the wind either (behind a wooden fence). If you're really worried (and hurricane force wind/rain is worrisome), I suppose you could do what they do to buildings in hurricane prone areas and strap it down in some manner (e.g. rope and screw anchors).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Cat Addict

It's hard to do, there's no way to know if the cat will use the shelter provided. Cats are pretty hardy though.

Yesterday it was pouring outside all day and night and my father accidentally closed the semi-feral inside the garage. We rolled with it, clearing out some stuff and then leaving it food, water, litterbox and bedding.

The cat doesn't use the cat door to come inside and only knows to come through the garage to get to our cats food. With colder weather we haven't been leaving the garage doors open much, so we've caught the poor cat hanging around our property the last while, tame enough outdoors to walk quite close to, my father has managed to slide food right beside it. Trapped inside is another matter... but maybe I'll work on it if my family can manage to not let it escape outside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 10-28-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Premier Cat

I hope the outside kitties are ok.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Tom Cat

(Just saw this post. Maybe a bit late for my reply but...)
Yes, I worry about that too. I take care of a feral/stray/abandoned cat colony. I moved recently, so they are 20 miles away. I can't check on them. (I live in Annapolis; we're almost in the bulls eye of Sandy's rain/wind.)
If the cat can fit his/her head into a space, they can fit their entire body. So the cats are probably hunkered down in that space.
About two years ago we had a LOT of rain (Irene remants?). The cats stayed flush against the condo building; there was a small overhang/gutter directly above them that diverted all of the rain away from the building--and the cats.
If you have *Safe* access to the cats, I would check on them. If in imment danger, try to move them to any place like a garage or under a bush. Lay out bricks, stones by a building, to create a raised place they can retreat too. Good luck.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Premier Cat

Can you take any of them in? ALSO!!!!! I'm not quite sure how trapping is done,I assume there's no baited traps around,that a cat could get stuck in during this storm?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Cat

I'm worried about my little ferals. I'm in Maryland and getting pounded by the storm. I made a shelter this past weekend, and I felt pretty proud of it since it was the first one I've ever made. I put it on the porch today but I don't know if they've gone in. I went out at dinner time to leave more food and one of the cats was on the porch, meowing and seeming a bit stressed, but I was glad to see him. I hope the others are ok.

I know outdoor cats are used to harsh weather conditions, but it still makes me sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page