unintentional trap - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat

unintentional trap

I have been trying to catch a very attractive male cat for months. Yesterday, during the rain Mooch was outside examining my latest efforts. Inside the trap was a very wet scared young black cat. Since it was soaked I brought the trap inside so the poor thing could dry off and eat. Now what to do? The cat is scared into paralysis, has eaten 3 cans of food in less than 24 hours and hasn't a clue to what cat litter is for. Do I just let it back out, contact a rescue, or....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Cat Addict

Personally if there is no issue with existing pets, I'd keep him. The trap is likely to be very restrictive so if you could even allow access to a larger cage it would be a definite step in the right direction.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Tom Cat

Scared, hungry and in a trap? Nothing should surprise you under those circumstances. For sure, take him into whatever you have locally to be checked out and fixed if he isn't already. Maybe he's chipped (prob not). If you have the time/inclination you might check if he's someones missing cat (prob not). After that, I wouldn't say. It's up to you. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Tom Cat

Agree with Llye: now that you've got the cat, take him in to your vet or contact a rescue for names/numbers of low cost spay/neuter clinics. Chances are you'll never get another opportunity to s/n this cat. What you do with him afterwards, is up to you, but at least you'll know he won't impregnant another cat and/or you won't be seeing kittens in two months.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat

In a habitat cage and has been since last night. Has 2 levels along with a space to hide but really isn't hiding. It came out of the trap as soon as I discovered it. Already provided with several cans of food, a warm (fresh out of the dryer) towel to sleep on, a few toys and a litter box. The room the cage is located in can be secured from the resident cats and an ad has been placed on craigslist in case anyone has lost this little guy (or girl). No growling, hissing or really any noise from this unknown to me animal and we have had several temp visitors to the yard. The only constant visitor has been the grey and white male who visits twice a day for his meal(s). He was the intended target since winter is soon to arrive. Not sure where these cats come from, dumps, ferals lost, they just keep showing up. The plan is to hold this cat for a few days to see if it isn't a lost pet and then see if we can foster until adopted I guess. Any advice?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Cat Addict

Sounds as if you are doing brilliantly!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Cat Addict

This cat got lucky!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Well the new cat (sex remains undetermined) has figured out the purpose of a liter box. It must be feeling more comfortable since I was welcomed with a half hearted hiss this morning. That quickly changed when it realized my arrival meant food. Sort of played with a string, even permitted a light touch to the head. Hopefully a rescue group will foster this cat for me until a home can be located.
My other visitor was waiting at the door for his meal as usual.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Cat

Exciting! Thank you for taking care of this little cat. Keep us posted! Maybe Mooch will get an idea that going into the trap is a good thing now.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 AM
Premier Cat

Any photos of your new resident? A rescue would probably be more willing to take on this cat if it was s/n with current vaccinations and a check up by a vet done.

Ill bet in a couple days you'll discover this kitty is socialized and friendly already and a great candidate for adoption. Normally when a cat is in a trap, it is frantic and extremely fearful. Once it is into a larger cage or room with lots of food it calms down quickly. Thanks for having compassion on this abandoned kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page