Extermination of wild(domesticated)cats?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Extermination of wild(domesticated)cats??

My uncle said he saw somewhere that because of cats killing so many birds,due to a lot of cats they are going to start "exterminating"(killing) stray cats?? I feel like it wouldn't happen but has anyone else heard about it in there area??? I know if someone came to kill my cat I would through a fit. Also what if it is someones pet cat they find? I just see it being too much of a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Premier Cat

Yes Ive read it. It has gone viral all over the internet and news media. I read thru it and its nothing short of junk science. It makes me think of ignorant people during the Dark Ages which villainized cats which resulted in the Black Plague epidemic.

Im so tired of "birders" who point fingers at cats to demonize them rather than point the finger at themselves creating the decline of species of all kinds. They want to find something to blame, rather than asses the biggest contributing factors and find proactive solutions. Birders are going to take this article and beat TNR and cats rather than realize the numbers are bizarrely faulty.

Im on my phone so unable to post links to intellegent responses as from Vox Felina, Alley Cat Allies and others.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Premier Cat

Thanks AdoptAnAngel for posting the links. Alley Cat Allies says it intelligently and simplely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoptAnAngel View Post
The study even cited research from Nico Dauphine. Here is the response from Alley Cat Allies.
It's a nicely worded response, but I really wish they hadn't focused so much on this idea:

Quote:
The study conveniently sidestepped the primary culprit of decline of wildlife populations which, of course, is human activity including habitat destruction.
Because this turns it into a sort of either/or we'd never accept as logical in any other area of life.

For example, by far more humans are killed in car crashes than airline disasters. That said, when we get on an airplane, we would not accept that there's no need for quality standards because the auto industry is the real killer. We would instead insist on being kept as safe as possible no matter what mode of transport we choose.

Yes, humans are the biggest destroyer of birds, but cats are hard on bird populations too. We have to remember that 1.) addressing different causes at the same time are not mutually exclusive, and 2.) the introduction of non-native wildlife is part of the habitat destruction humans cause, not a separate issue.

So yeah, I honestly find that part of the response a bit of a sidestep too.

Now mind you, I don't think that killing the cats is the answer!

However, if we simply deny that there's a problem, we're not giving much credence to there being a need for alternate solutions to it, so the general public is going to think that killing cats is the only viable solution.

I think TNR works. In most places, it needs more funding; everyone would benefit from it because the environment would benefit from it.

I also think that in cases where the issue is cat colonies overlapping with bird habitats, we can think more in terms of trap-neuter-relocate. Rather than killing them, the cats can be moved to an area where they would be less harmful or (in an area with a vermin problem) even beneficial.

I think we need more cat sanctuaries, where cats who aren't socialized enough to be pets can live out their days in an enclosed, protected area where they don't have access to endangered wildlife and humans with cruel intentions have no access to them either.

I think we as a general public need to remember that "feral" is a state of socialization, not a hereditary condition, and work on getting people to accept the kittens of feral mothers as pets and separating socialized strays from feral colonies.

There's a lot that can be done - and a whole lot that people are already doing - that helps feral cats and the environment at the same time. It seems to me that minimizing the harm that feral cats can cause to the ecosystem actually reduces the willingness of governments and the public to fund those efforts, though, because cat supporters are in a sense arguing against our own needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.

Last edited by Blakeney Green; 02-04-2013 at 02:48 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Cat Addict

There has been research done here (some years ago so please don't ask for specific quotes) that looked at various causes and cats (and dogs during courting / nesting times) were well down the list after other (mainly human induced) environmental factors). In my own area, opencast (Mountain top removal) mining and building had resulted in a loss of major habitat for skylarks.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks guys!! I just got really curious when I was told that,
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeney Green View Post
Because this turns it into a sort of either/or we'd never accept as logical in any other area of life.

For example, by far more humans are killed in car crashes than airline disasters. That said, when we get on an airplane, we would not accept that there's no need for quality standards because the auto industry is the real killer. We would instead insist on being kept as safe as possible no matter what mode of transport we choose.

Yes, humans are the biggest destroyer of birds, but cats are hard on bird populations too. We have to remember that 1.) addressing different causes at the same time are not mutually exclusive, and 2.) the introduction of non-native wildlife is part of the habitat destruction humans cause, not a separate issue.
My sentiments exactly! Why does anyone think that "Yes, cats kill millions of birds, but if office towers didn't also kill millions of birds there wouldn't be a problem," is a legitimate argument? Feral cats are simply behaving naturally, the blame for any negative impact cats have on prey species populations lies entirely with people. It's easy to forget that both issues, the depletion of native species, and huge numbers of feral cats are both a direct result of people's negligent, apathetic attitude towards animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeney Green View Post
I think we need more cat sanctuaries, where cats who aren't socialized enough to be pets can live out their days in an enclosed, protected area where they don't have access to endangered wildlife and humans with cruel intentions have no access to them either.
I wish! I have a problem currently because of a cat that has recently joined my feral colony and is clearly not a proper feral. I'm sure it could be somebody's pet again with a little bit of rehabilitation, but I honestly can't bring anymore cats home. My options are pretty much limited to TNRing it with all the others and resigning myself to the fact that it will become a feral or somehow finding someone experienced with feral or semi-feral cats who has the capacity to rehabilitate it in their own home.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Cat Addict

Just a note here - I think the news that went viral was related to a serious feral cat problem in New Zealand, where many of the island's native birds are flightless and have no defenses against predation by cats...

Fran
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 02:13 AM
Cat

About 15 years ago, a bird-loving neighbor 2-doors-down started setting up traps for "feral cats" so that they would stop eating the wild birds. She said cats are not indigenous to the area, whereas the birds were. My family had 4 cats at the time that were all indoor-outdoor cats. Everyone knew which cats were ours, they all had collars. In any case, this woman started putting out the metal traps, and BAITED them with tuna. So of course she caught our 20 year old cat, and kept him outside, in the snow, overnight in the cage.

We had the city put a stop to her. The key was that she baited the traps - the city didn't like that at all.

Definitely put some tension in a very tight-knit community.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Premier Cat

How can people love one type of animal over another. Ive never understood that. Its heartless to let a 20 yr old cat outside in the snow all night. She sounds like a piece of work.

Ive heard that line about cats not being indigenous from birders. I ask them what are they doing about Starlings and Sparrows? Never an answer from them. They miss the point. I wish birders esp would work in a proactive way to solve this not a angry hateful fruitless way. I still feel TNR is part of the solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page