One Thing I Hate About The Spring - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat

One Thing I Hate About The Spring

Is all the kittens that are born around this time of year. Our area isn't really friendly when it comes to TNR,but there are plenty of people who will sit around and not try to do anything. I have talked to the local shelters to see if we could get a program started,but it's been slow going.
Just yesterday I saw at least 10 kittens walking around. I have trapped and fixed numerous kittens and adult cats,but it's still not fixing the problem as a whole. We did have a group of women who were doing TNR for a group of cats living behind a Food Lion,but ALL OF THE CATS were accused of running down a 7 year old boy and attacking him (yes you read right). Because of this,all of them were trapped by Animal Control and killed at the shelter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Cool Cat

I know exactly what you mean. It's still cold and snowy here, but so many of the colony cats that have been brought in to our recovery centre from various colonies are coming in pregnant. I do TNR in Toronto, trapping specifically, and I helped a colony caretaker to trap a really pregnant colony cat two weeks ago. She was spayed with nine cats from another colony, six of which were female, all of them were pregnant. Just think of the number of kittens!

Good for you for trying to educate and get your local shelters involved! Don't give up, even if it's slow going. It's the people who advocate for change who make change happen. And, the way feral cats are dealt with, at least in Canada and the US, is changing as awareness of the effectiveness of TNR increases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharrissc View Post
problem as a whole. We did have a group of women who were doing TNR for a group of cats living behind a Food Lion,but ALL OF THE CATS were accused of running down a 7 year old boy and attacking him (yes you read right). Because of this,all of them were trapped by Animal Control and killed at the shelter.
Give me a break. Yes, feral cats can be really aggressive, and they can cause a lot of damage, which is only natural considering that, as far as they know, they're fighting for their lives. Feral cats don't launch unprovoked attacks on people, they avoid them. If this incident did actually occur, I seriously doubt that the kid was just minding his own business, taking a scenic stroll behind the Food Lion. Ugh, people are stupid.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Senior Cat

Geez, I agree! Cats, especially ferals, tend to run the opposite direction if there are strangers nearby, or anyone nearby for that matter. They're not like dogs where they develop a pack mentality and hunt together. That's completely insane!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Cat Addict

Crazy - and awful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page