Joker's Six Month Update - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Joker's Six Month Update

It's been about six months now since we brought Joker (the FeLv+ feral) into the house from the garage.
On the plus side, there have been no adverse effects wrt the other two cats. No fights, no spread of the FeLv.
On the neg side, the last month has been absolutely horrible. Joker's health turned bad suddenly and a tumor was found in his abdomen. An exploratory op confirmed the bad news, that it couldn't be removed. I couldn't do it. I couldn't end his life.
Last week he began a procedure referred to as "Induction" (ie chemo) in the hopes that the cancer would go into remission.
Yesterday was his first return visit to the vet (he has weekly treatments) and he's doing very well. At home he's about his old self and eats like a pig, thanks to daily steroid meds. That is one tough little survivor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Cat

I'm pulling for both of you

Joker is a fighter and so are you. Go Joker! Go Lyle!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 07:00 AM
Cat Addict

That is wonderful. You are a guardian angel to that cat. I have a feral that I care for and don't know her health status, but I sometimes fear she is felv + or fiv +. She seems pretty healthy lately, but she had a few days about 6 months ago when she seemed really sick, and I was worried.

I'm so glad to hear your feral is doing well. That is amazing what you have done for him. I'm sure whatever time he has, and who knows how long, will be the best time of his life, now that he is safe with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Cat Addict

Thank you for the update Lyle. Joker is one of those former ferals well known to us after all you've gone through with him. It doesn't seem fair that now that his life is truly good he's been dealt this cruel blow. I know how it feels to come up against something like this - it is crushing, at first.

When my cat Scoop was four years old, he was diagnosed with a malignant tumor on the back of his neck. To this day I am positive it was caused by a rabies vaccine. Scoop was able to have surgery - the vet let me know as gently as possible that the lump would re-grow - and I followed up for six months with daily doses of flax oil. After that, Scoop was all done with cancer. Scoop is 14 now.

I hope Joker makes a full recovery. Thank you for pulling out all the stops for him and at least giving him a chance. Joker is one of those cats that will beat the odds.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenport ferals View Post
Joker is one of those cats that will beat the odds.
Thanks. It's not going to be from lack of trying on either of our parts. Every morning now, part of my greeting is: "You're not going to die today". He gets either one-and-a-half pills or 2.6ml of a steroid med per day. What an ordeal THAT is.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Premier Cat

Fingers crossed this works for your buddy!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Premier Cat

Hows Joker doing so far? Updates?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I just dropped him off at the vet for his chemo treatment. He is doing great (not withstanding his displeasure at going to the vets). We had quite the runaround today. I don't know what my "tells" are, but he knows when I'm getting ready to go to the vet and the chase is on! I'm glad I don't live in a dome home. If it weren't for corners I'd still be chasing him.
He is in remission and soon he will begin the new drug treatment. I have great hopes.
Thanks for asking
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Premier Cat

Remission! Fantastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page