new kittens wed. night - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

new kittens wed. night

Please don't hate me for saying this....

There are 2 new kittens outside.

There is a calico cat who comes to my house from time to time to eat. She is really scared of people. She does have nice markings though. Orange/black/white.

So last night when i went to step outside to refill the food bowl... i see that she is inside the igloo with 2 kittens. One all black one and one peach color kitten. Not sure which one is a boy or girl though.

The peach color one seems to have the same markings as mr.smokey. He is blue & simba's dad who lives outside.

So i quickly got some canned food for the 3 of them and put it out on the porch for them. They came over to eat. So i got my camera and took pictures .

The kittens are sooo cute! The peach one was running around attacking the bugs. it was funny. the black one was eating food with mom.

I really want to trap them and get them fixed..but there are some problems that prevent that. 1. mom has a busy schedule. so it prevents me from going out. 2. The Tara Van is never at a place where we need them to be. 3. since cali doesn't come to the house that often...the trap will be sitting there forever waiting for her. if it does trap them... it will be on a day that i cant leave the house.

So i don't know what to do about this. I cant take them inside.. i have 4 cats as it is. Neeed to figure out a plan for these guys.

here are some pictures from last night. They came out around 10:00 when i was doing a night check on my kitties who are inside.

Do these guys/girls look to young to be fixed? or even away from mom? not sure if they are still nursing or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Cool Cat

Most vets only need them to be 2 lbs to be fixed. Based on the size of the cat food can in relation to the kittens, they look big enough. I'd guestimate them at 10 weeks based on the photo and yes, that's big enough to leave mom, at least for a trip to the vets to get snipped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind but found my soul."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Cat Addict

I'd see if you can get them to trust you, at their age it shouldn't take too much. All you need to do is be able to grab them, and I'd set them up in your bathroom until you can figure out how to get them either fixed, or tamed AND fixed. Ideally tamed would be best, since then they could get adopted. They look about 7-8 weeks old to me, so they definitely could be tamed, especially if they weren't too shy of you. It'd take about a week to have them ready to adopt, if the people understood how to handle a nervous kitten. Maybe a rescue group could take them once they're tamer?

TBH I'd work on the kittens now, and then try and get a trap for mom when you've got more time. The kittens are more adoptable and have a shot at a different life...if mum is wild it'll be TNR no matter when you do it.

Be aware the the mum could very well be pregnant again already though. poor girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Premier Cat

Please keep leaving food out nightly at the same time. This will get her coming regularly. Then you could get her trapped and fixed.

She looks like a good mom and the kittens sure are cute!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

The can cat food is adult food. I don't have kitten can food. (didn't know there would be kittens )

Thanks everyone for tryn to guess the kitties ages. so lets just say 7 to 10 weeks?

I saw the kittens early this morning when I was getting ready for work at 7am. They were running around on the porch. Smokey(the dad)was baby sitting them b/c I didn't see the mom anywhere.

When I got home from work,there were no signs of anyone. It seems like they only come at night to eat. I leave a food bowl in the igloo all day. Just incase they come in the morning/afternoon. Of course theres a water bowl out for them a well.

So the next time I see mom and kitties...I will try to sit outside with them. Hopefully it wont be to late at night. Wednesday when they came It was at 10:00 at night.

I don't know if mom will let me tame the kitties in the bathroom. I have 4 cats as it is and 2 big dogs. we really cant take on more animals.

I want to put the trap out... but again...we need to figure out where to take them. vet or shelter and then figure out when( busy schedule for us) sigh..

Mitts....mom says not to leave food out for atleast a week b/c then they will get really hungry and then go into the trap where the food is. what do you think?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Mar
Jr. Cat

i don't think a week is good because when they realize you don't feed them, they won't return. keep feeding them until the three are regular visitors (maybe for 2 weeks or so?) and then trap them when they come expecting food.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Cat Addict

Mar has it right. To get them hungry enough to go in the trap you'd only need to skip one night. If you stop for a week you risk them not coming back!

The sooner someone takes the kittens the better. The older they are the more difficult taming them gets, and every week their chances of being adopted fall along with that. At their age it would take a max of 2 weeks to get them to a point where they would be adoptable. If you can't take them then you need to call around to local rescues to see if they have room. You could also see if they could take the kittens if they were tame, and maybe you could convince your mom to allow them for just that short time. They'd only need a bathroom.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Premier Cat

You should make an appt with a vet or low cost spay neuter clinic. Put a traps out and start feeding them in front of the trap and slowly move the food into the wired open havahart traps.

It is great they were there in the morning. So the day you have scheduled to trap them they will be on a regular schedule of being fed in the morning. That way they wont have to stay in the trap long before you take the parents to a s/n appt. If the kittens are 2 or 3 pounds they are ready to be spayed/neutered. Check with the clinic how old or how much they should weigh to be s/n.

have the traps covered with a towel or sheet when transitioning them to eating inside the traps. you can put cardboard down on the bottom and over the trip plate. big thing is to keep it wired open.

You are right, if you remove food for over a day or two they go looking for it somewhere else.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Mitts...

I cant make an appt. with the vet or the clinic because there Is no guarantee that the cats will be inside the trap on the vet day.

This is the trap that I have: http://www.cozypad.com/wp-content/up...ahart_trap.jpg It just has the front door. So its a pain to set up without the trap door slamming on my arm. Ive used it before and its a pain.

The kitties don't come every morning. Im lucky that they even come once a day. I leave food outside for them every day. Morning through the night. its just dry food.

When I see smokey or the other kitties at night...I give them canned food for dinner. If they don't show up ..then I just leave dry food out so they have something for the entire night.

Tonight(6/29) for example...I just saw smokey. Mom and kitties were no where to be seen.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Banned

If you have a place for the kittens, I would grab them as soon as you see them.
The mom will come around looking for them and maybe hear them. Put a havaheart trap out and maybe you will catch the mom as well.
In a perfect world, I would say go slowly and win their trust, but kittens grow up quickly and move on to have litters very early. Better to have saved the kittens and work on the mom then lose them all.
Post back on how you are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page