old/new grey kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

old/new grey kitty

This is smokey:

He lives outside. He comes to my house a lot to eat and to hang out. hes also the dad to samba and blue.

In 2010 we think smokey and ms.brinie(sambas and blues mom)got together to have 4 kittens.. but I only saw 3 kittens. blue and 2 others which I was able to catch and adopt out. I never saw the 4th kitty.

but then a year later this grey kitty came to the porch looking for food. he has 6 toes on the front feet and hes really skiddish around people.

So the years go by with him coming to the house from time to time. hes looking thin.

So today he comes to the house for the first time of the season. he goes inside the big igloo to eat some food.

I step outside and take some pictures of him.

He is looking really rough around the edges. It looks like his winter fur never shedded out and that fur is a light brown color. Hes susposed to be a grey kitty.

I was able to get pretty close to him. Im not sure why he let me get close to him. It was 90 degrees out..so maybe he didn't feel like running away b/c of the heat. OR... Hes not feeling well. I herd him breathing kinda funny. It didn't sound to good.

I gave him a plate of canned food and some left over chicken/meat on the plate.

After he ate..he left. so now I am worried about this grey kitty. We call him *blue's twin* he looks like my blue belle.. only with 6 toes

I really want to help him along with the other kitties who come to the house. but with heat being so bad..they only come at night when its some what cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Premier Cat

He, like most adult cats, probably sleeps most of the day. Look for him early in the AM and again around dinner time or so. My Lacey is a grey kitty, but definitely has brownish overtones to her coat. Unless he is a purebred (not likely), he can have just about any coloring mixed in to his coat. Thanks for being kind to him.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Today the grey kitty was out on the porch. i gave him a plate of cat food and a small bowk of cat milk. the cat was eating a bit fast. then all of sudden he sneezes and this gunk comes out of his nose. it was gross. then he went back to eating. poor boy.

it sounds like he has a really bad cold.

as he was eating the food on the plate..he was pushing it close to me. so i went to reach out with my finger and he jumped back and then went back to the plate.

so atleast we are getting somewhere with him. i don't know how long hes been sick for. he showed up the other day not looking to well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Cat

Uh oh....the gunk coming out of his nose concerns me. He may have a serious respiratory infection going on (which is a red flag for more serious diseases). Thanks for helping him out. He sounds like he has had a rough time of it. Any little kindness to make his life a little better is a wonderful thing.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with Justeri1000, although if I were eating and sneezed I'd probably have the same incident with my nose! It may just be a common kitty cold. Keep an eye on him, he may come to you looking for a comfortable place to rest so maybe you can set up a box with a soft towel bedding in a shed, garage, or some other comfortable place (not exposed to the weather). Poor thing.

If you have the finances and the means you can trap him and take him to a vet for vaccinations and check up. There is not much that can be done for a cold though.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Cool Cat

If he has a cold you could try putting L-Lysine in his food. It's an immune boosting amino acid that is naturally produced in the human body, and although cat's bodies don't produce it, studies have proven the efficacy of L-Lysine for the treatment of feline herpes. I use it all the time for the ferals I'm TNR-ing for colds and respiratory infections also. And, hey, I take it myself every morning because I'm prone to Shingles, and it really does work!

You can use the over-the-counter L-Lysine capsules that are intended for people to doctor the cat's food, but cats often catch on to that, and they won't always eat it. I typically use Vetoquinol Viralys (L-Lysine) Powder for cats because most of them really like the taste, and some of them like it so much that they'd eat the powder all on its own. Here's the link to the product on Amazon.com, in case you're interested:

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 06:05 AM
Premier Cat

I am also a firm believer in L-lysine. I've been buying the powdered human form from the vitamin shop and putting it in their food, but I found Amazon also makes L-lysine treats which they like. Makes dosing easy especially if they don't care for their food that day. Your stray may be too nervous about taking treats so mixing the power in their wet food is a great option.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Cat

Timely topic! A couple weeks ago I read on this board about the L-Lysine treats and I ordered a bag of the Pet Naturals from Amazon. They arrived yesterday and I gave out a first dose yesterday. Two of my three ferals seemed to like them so I hope it helps keep them healthy.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Premier Cat

Oh my heart went pitter pat when I saw Smokey. Looks like hes had a tough life. I hope he doesnt have FeLv or FIV but luckily you can keep an eye on him so if he is really sick you wouldnt let him suffer.

I agree with the L-lysine. Also we give fish mox when you cant get near a feral to help treat him.

Here is an article on L-lysine and read on down to the fish mox you should put in the food also to help these kitties. Thanks you for your love and care for them. They are precious souls.

Upper Respiratory Infections (Common Kitty Cold, Feline Herpes Virus etc)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thank you everyone for the information. This is some great stuff. I even showed the website you posted Mitts to my mom. She seemed interested in it.

So today GK(grey kitty)was sleeping on the porch. So I went out to see him. This time I had soft gloves on. So I was able to pet him. He was jumping into my hand and then he would plop down on the porch and be a belly kitty. that's where I got to rub is belly.

He was purring away. he seemed really happy for this attention I was giving him. I just didn't want him to rub his fur on my clothes(just incase hes really sick). So he did like the petting though.

Like I said in the beginning of the thread...theres a big dog igloo for the cats to go inside and eat. Its on my front porch in the corner. So its out of the weather elements. So no worries there.

Also on the front porch is a medium size made up cat bed that has towels and soft things for Gk. The igloo has bedding inside it too.

Gk & smokey are lucky cats to hang out here.

I told mom that I want to get Gk checked out and find out whats wrong. She said he will call the vet Monday morning and ask them if they will let us bring him to them. I don't see why they wouldn't let us.

If the vet says he will get better with meds or whatever...then I don't know what to do. I cant take him. Nor do I have the space in the house to let him get better. We cant let him live in the bathroom. I have my 4 cats as it is. I wish my house had a spare room where Gk can go for the time being. but we don't.

So I need ideas for a backup plan if the vet says he will be okay if....

Or maybe hes to sick and the vet doesn't think meds will help him..so they would put him down...

So maybe I should just yell out for some help!
-----------------------------------------------------

Smokey is a hard cat to trap. Ive had a trap out before and he knows its there. so he doesn't show up for days. then I take the trap inside and he comes back to hang. So I don't know what to do about smokey. he lets me put food out for him..but just stands back and watches as I put the food down. then I have to go inside the house and watch him trot over to the food.

sigh

Thank you again for the infor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page