TNR. How to tell a spayed or neutered cat! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

TNR. How to tell a spayed or neutered cat!

For those new to TNR!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Cat Addict

You know I brought my mom cat and her 3 kittens to TNR to be fixed at first and now that I have her and the one living son, I hate that their ears are snipped =(
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Jr. Cat

I'm not crazy about that idea. I suppose it gives them a way to tell which cats have been spayed or neutered, after they're released, but... it doesn't seem right to me. Just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Cat

My sister adopted her cat from the humane society, they had her go to a vet to get fixed. The vet discovered she had already been fixed. If her ear was clipped she would not have had to go through all the stress. poor baby.

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong....because sometime in your life you will have been all of these."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

When your doing a colony of cats that is the only way you can tell who is done and who isn't. If a new member wanders in that is the only way we can tell. We've had no births in 3 colonies! Whooohooo. We wouldn't have been able to achieve that unless we knew everyone was fixed and tipped.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Cat Addict

I do get it and am grateful that there was a Feral Cat Coalition that helped these cats and me. I never thought I was going to adopt any of them. But now that I do, I don't want anyone thinking they are feral as they do go outside. They seem to stay close and my neighbors know I have them as they hear me call them in a couple times a day. I was hoping to find a cheaper microchip place than the vets but haven't located one yet.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Cat Addict

I actually love seeing an ear-tipped stray cat. It gives me a warm feeling that someone has cared for them enough to neuter them, which means they've also been fed. If we didn't ear-tip them, it'd be a real problem. I have a female in my colony whom I sent off on TNR only to be told the next morning (after she spent the night at the vet's scared to death) that she was already neutered (she had a tiny tip on the RIGHT ear; whoever did that stupid thing must've been crazy). Since that awful night, she's been getting so much compensation in way of yummies and jowl-scratching that I'm starting to feel less guilty.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Cool Cat

Ohhhhhhh that's very interesting and clever. I can see how that could be very helpful with colonies and feral cats.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat owner again View Post
I do get it and am grateful that there was a Feral Cat Coalition that helped these cats and me. I never thought I was going to adopt any of them. But now that I do, I don't want anyone thinking they are feral as they do go outside. They seem to stay close and my neighbors know I have them as they hear me call them in a couple times a day. I was hoping to find a cheaper microchip place than the vets but haven't located one yet.
I would think the humane society would have cheap microchipping. Most vets do have sales on microchipping. I had my cat that is missing microchipped. That was before he went missing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Cat

I took my cat to the humane society to be spayed and he came back neutered! lol - they put a green tattoo on his belly, but when dealing with ferals you wouldn't necessarily be able to catch them and flip them over to find the tattoo, ear snipping is an easier way to spot. Not crazy about the look - just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page