feral interaction with house cat??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat

feral interaction with house cat???

As some of you may remember I brought in a little feral female which we named Ben. She is doing very good!, she now will sit on my lap (when I am sitting on the floor), and purrs and purrs. While she sits there I can pet her wherever. She is comfortable and confident in her room.
I would like to intergrate her with my housecat, a 16 yr. old fixed himalayan male. They do sit nose to nose at her screen door, she just rolls around on the floor, he meows at her. There is no hissing.
I am wondering if I open the door (I don't think she would come out right away), but I know he would go right in her room. Would she take his coming into her territory as a threat?, would it make her less comfortable in her room, which she takes as her home? She I just be grateful that she has come so far and is very confortable where she is in her room?
She has alot of interaction with us all day, as our house is very small and she has the screen door on her room, plus I sit with her for a few hours every day.
Any input would be appreciated!!! You were all so very helpful when I brought her in!
Sally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Premier Cat

Do you have a baby gate? Preferably one like below that opens and closes leaving gaps in the openings. OR you can put up cardboard with 3" holes (or smaller to keep kitten from walking through) and let them go nose to nose for awhile. OR.... you could do what I would do and just open the door and see what happens! go for it.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with Marcia! Just go for it! From what you're describing it should be fine!
Let us know! :p

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Premier Cat

When we began to integrate my first TNR feral cat into my sisters house we would let him in and then when he wanted, we let him back out. He continued to stay longer and longer with the cats in the house. If the outdoor cat sits nose to nose without hissing that is a good sign. Most likely they will get along.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Kitten

If there is no hissing through the screen door you should be just fine. Have you tried it yet? Let us know how it goes! If you are extra nervous, you could feed them next to the door for a few days so they associate each other with good things (food) but I don't think that is necessary.

~Katy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Cat

I've been following Ben's story and it sounds like it is working out well. Keep us posted!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Kitten

Yo! A feral female I trapped and got operated a few years back got friendlier and friendlier in 2012. She had been rubbing noses with my inside-only house cat through the screen door for a few summers. Last december, she slept in for the first time ever. They get along just fine. My 14 yr old female tolerates her quite well. From what you write, I'd let them meet. Just keep a water spray bottle handy. Time is the essence. Thanks to all those who taught me patience on this forum. Greetings from Northeastern Québec. Long John country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page