What should I do? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

What should I do?

I have 2 cats that are strictly indoors. They have 2 arch nemesis that lives outdoor in my neighborhood (an orange and brown tabby which Iíve named Orange Cream-cicle and Milk Mustache), that I have been secretly feeding for almost 3 years. Up until two weeks ago I thought they belonged to someone in my neighborhood, as they both donít have tails. So, two weeks ago, I noticed that Orange has hurt his right eye, probably from fighting, but didnít really think much of it. The next few days when I saw him, his eye was closed. At this point I wanted to take him to my vet, but decided to give it a few days (I didnít want to get in trouble/sued by his owner for taking action without permission). As the next few days passed I saw that his right eye was beginning to open bigger and bigger and back to normal size. Then yesterday when I was feeding them, I noticed that, Orangeís right eye has turned completely foggy white colored (looked like what a blind eye would look like). Seeing that killed me because I should have took him to my vet. With that being said, I am NOT 100% positive that he is blind in that eye, it just looks like it. What can I do at this point? I am assuming he is feral and homeless now because no one cared for his eye. I have never trapped and took a stray to a vet. I was thinking about calling my other vet, who travels to my house, but I canít schedule that because I donít know when Orange will appear around my house. Also, I have never ever petted these cats before since I donít know their health history. Any advice? Tips? I would greatly appreciate it. I cry every time I think about his eye. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Premier Cat

I hope someone who has lots of experience with these kind of things can give you some ideas! That's got to be so hard to watch, I hope you can get him trapped.
Do you have any rescues where you are that could help...?

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Premier Cat

Do you have a vet which is experienced working with ferals. You need to borrow or buy a havaheart trap and have this cat looked at. While he is there get him s/n and a wellness check. We can walk you thru trapping tips. Bless you for feeding the cats and caring for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Cat Addict

Check the internet for any feral s/n groups near you. I was able to find one that leant me the traps and could direct me to a vet. They also spayed and gave rabies shot for free.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the tips. I spoke to my vet yesterday, and he told me bring him in for a look. I bought a havaheart trap from home depot last night. I hope it wont be too hard trying to get him. Thanks for all the help. Will keep you guys posted.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Cat Addict

Are you sure he's feral? There can be a big difference between catching a feral and catching an abandoned cat...like the difference between using a trap and picking them up, lol.

If you can't just pick him up then the trap is a good idea, personally if the two boys get along I'd catch them both and take them into the vet if you can. Then I'd go from there. If they are feral getting them neutered, vaccinated, ect and releasing them, if they're just anxious abandoned cats I'd keep them in a bathroom and resocialize them while looking for a calmer home for them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

The thing is...I DONT know if they are feral. It took them almost 2 years to kind of trust me but I dont think they are at the point where I can pet them yet.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I just heard back from SFSPCA (community cat department), and they are going to loan me a trap, teach me how to use it and treat them when I take them in. Thank you so much for everyone's advice and tips. I feel a little better. I have been feeling really guilty for the poor little guy.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Premier Cat

Dont you dare feel guilty. Your there for him. You are actively helping him. This is all good news. Keep us posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page