Hello, help pls - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello, help pls

Hi there
My name is Arber, and i joined here because i need some advice/help.
There is a feral/stray cat that's basically trapped in the roof of the place were i live. I say trapped because it has no doors/stairs to access it, only two small hatches. I still have no idea how it got there. It has been up there for over a month, but only recently i realized it was up there. I live in the floor near the roof. I have tried to catch it and get it down from there but haven't succeeded yet. I try to feed the pour soul but im at work most of the day. Here in my country there are no state or other organizations dealing with stray animals. Also it's hard for me to feed it because there is only a small hatch in the roof for access and operating the door there and taking food in the roof is hard. After this long post i'll get to the point. Is there any drug/medicine to put the poor soul to sleep for a couple of hours so i can take it down from there. I might go on vacation soon and will be missing for days. Any other advice appreciated. I know this thread is for presenting ourselves but could not post in other threads. Please respond with ideas/help ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Premier Cat

That is a hard situation, poor baby! Have you tried using a live trap? If not, maybe feeding him closer and closer to where you get up on the roof to the point where he can find the exit? Maybe a Half a Benadryl will make him sleepy, but I don't want to recommend doing it until you check with a vet, he might have a reaction to it. It is tough, but thank you for taking cate of him. Any neighbors that may take over while you are gone to feed him? I time the little thing will probably trust you enough to be picked up and taken safely off the roof, but you may need to work on that after you get back from vacation.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Cat

Failing that, could you find a way to construct an escape for the cat? Can you leave a hatch open and then an open way to the road/street/yard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Premier Cat

A live trap is a must. If your country does not have an active animal control organization you may have trouble finding a suitable trap. In the USA they are available at home improvement stores. You may need to do some searching, or calling the police to ask where to get one. That is the only way you are probably going to catch him.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Premier Cat

Leave the hatch open or build an escape for the cat as others have suggest. thanks for taking pity on this poor kitty.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanx for the quick responses everyone. I let the hatches open all the time, even at night. Has not worked yet. We once went 5 people on the roof and tried to direct it towards the open hatch, but it did not work. Right now im trying half of a sleeping pill on some sausage. Hope to help it. Would have adopted the poor thing if it was possible, but as an adult stray cat, i dont believe will ever accept humans. If this does not work ill try an improvised trap, with a stick, a box and a rope.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Premier Cat

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes. I still wouldnt use a sleeping pill. Once its off the roof and drugged it may not be able to safely protect itself until its out of its system. Be careful.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Cat

What happened with the cat on the roof?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ok guys/girls. Been away for a while. Didn't go on vacation so the cat remained feed. I tried half of a sleeping pill, and it did not work. For now im just feeding her/him ( still havent figured if it's a she or a he), 2 times a day, when i can. I buy here some wurstels and sausage, and give her some leftovers from my food. It does not eat everything though. So for now i'll just feed it. Btw , some advice here would be appreciated. Since i have a low income ( happens) cat food here is very expensive. so, anyone knows some cheap/fast way of making a good diet for the poor soul. I dont want it to starve on my roof . Thnx in advance everyone.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Premier Cat

a raw diet would be good for it. There are other on CF more qualified to tell you which people food would be great for your cat. They will chime in soon I hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page