Put a handful of kibbles out for a stray - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Put a handful of kibbles out for a stray

I hope he/she comes back to find it!!

I didnt want to open the door when it was too closeby and scare it away. so I waited a bit. I hope their sense of smell will bring them back!!

with my luck a skunk or something will come by and eat it... but i intended it for that little guy or gal.

it looked young-ish and on the skinny side so, i felt bad for the little thing.

Just by watching it those couple of minutes, it seemed very aware of absolutely everything (looking around with sudden jerky movements, kind of like what Simba does when we make unusual noises). You can tell it isnt relaxed at all.

I hope i just made its life a bit easier anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 02:02 AM
Tom Cat

Hope the little one comes back for the food and you can build his trust in you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Premier Cat

Awww so nice of you to try to feed this kitty! He is probably doing rounds of your neighborhood. He will come back by. Have it waiting.

You can get him on a schedule once he knows food is available. That way you don't have to leave it out for the skunks or raccoon's!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Premier Cat

Hopefully this will work. I was going to suggest a live trap with yummy smelly food in it, but that could just as easily trap a skunk - not a pleasant thought!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Hopefully this will work. I was going to suggest a live trap with yummy smelly food in it, but that could just as easily trap a skunk - not a pleasant thought!
Lol! I laugh because I haven't been so lucky yet, but it's only a matter of time. I regularly trap raccoons and I got my first possum back in May. I've gone so far as to think out my plan for releasing a skunk from the trap without getting sprayed; it involves approaching the trap holding a plastic tarp up in front of my body, head and all, and laying the tarp over the trap when I get close enough. Hopefully the tarp will be the only thing that gets "skunked".

You're not technically supposed to leave the live cat traps unattended anyway; although, you can for short periods of time, depending on the conditions and where you're trapping. There are numerous reasons why you should keep an eye on any set traps, such as being around to promptly cover the trap if a cat freaks out or to prevent people and other animals from harming or causing unnecessary stress to a trapped cat, but any trapper will tell you that you also have to be on the lookout for wildlife bycatch. Raccoons are usually quite easy to release, although I wouldn't want to trap a baby if mom was around, but no one wants to accidentally trap a skunk!

Interestingly enough, I opened my front door last night to take the garbage out, and there was a skunk waddling around on my front porch. Needless to say, I won't be doing any night time trapping in my own yard anytime soon.

Claiken, it's very kind of you to leave some food out for the hungry kitty. I hope he/she comes back for it!

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Well, something ate the kibbles!!

I dont know if it was that kitty or not but i hope so. It was after I was in bed (i got up to pee and peeked to see if the kibble was still there.).

Havent seen him around tonight though, but its the first time i had left food out for it, so him coming by isnt a pattern yet. if i see him again tomorrow night ill put some more out, and maybe a pattern will start.

I didnt think while i was out today, i should have gotten some non-vet food for them as its SO expensive already.

What do you guys feed your strays? I used what i had in a pinch, but what wont break the bank but will keep them fed? basically any food at that point (being skinny)?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Premier Cat

We feed anything that is donated to us for ferals! If Im buying its chicken soup or purina. If a cat looks injured or really bad I put out soft Evo. But now Im disappointed in Evos issues so will use Wellness or another good brand.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

So basically at the point theyre at, any food is good food?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Premier Cat

What ever is your budget. Some of our caretakers can't afford to feed the ferals but have the time so we provide the food. Were grateful for the help. We provide chicken soup or taste of the wild for our fosterers if they don't have the funds too.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Cat Addict

my sister TNR's any stray cats around her house and leaves a trap out. the other day she caught a possum. she also saw a coyote come all the way up to her yard and lots of foxes. she went to pick up a cat whose owner died and the woman had a couple of those plastic jugs of Delicat dry food. she picked them up and took them home but left them out on her front porch because she was going to take them to the shelter. later that evening, she heard all kinds of noise and something whizzing through the air. a raccoon had found the jugs but couldn't get them open. he threw one across the yard, then got on top of it and tried to bite it open, it did everything you could do to it except for turn a screw-on lid. lol

any food is better than no food when it comes to strays but there's no guarantee they'll be the ones to eat it. I wouldn't leave anything really expensive out until you can be relatively sure the cat is getting it. raccoons, skunks and possums don't care what it is, they just like cat food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page