So, I said no more fosters, but... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

So, I said no more fosters, but...

So, a couple days ago I posted the following in "The Complaining Thread - 2013":

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8thd View Post
I hate having to return tame cats and older kittens to feral colonies, especially when I know the colony is really dangerous or a breeding ground for disease. These are cats that we would place in foster care or adopt out through a rescue or no-kill shelter if it weren't kitten season! I save the occasional tame stray or semi-feral adult by fostering and adopting them out myself, but I can't take on any additional foster cats right now. It kills me every single time I have to let one go.

I now have 2 more fosters, sort of. The cats from the 2nd colony I trapped at over the weekend were all varying degrees of tame. The colony itself is in a very posh, upper middle class neighbourhood, which you'd think would make it a safer place for the cats, but apparently not. The colony caretaker has had someone attempt to poison the cats, and a sibling of one of the cats that is now a sort of foster was run over on the Bayview Extension just last week. I trapped 3 cats at this colony over the weekend, 2 of which are completely tame, and absolutely love people!

I'm glad to say that one of these cats, "Tigger" the 4 month old DSH torbie kitten, was adopted yesterday! The woman who adopted her lives in the area of the colony and sometimes feeds and plays with the cats. She approached the colony caretaker to ask about adopting the kitten a while ago, and she came over when were trapping on Monday to reiterate her interest in adopting Tigger--"Tigger" being the name that she had already picked out for the kitten. I met her at the Recovery Centre yesterday, had her sign the adoption contract, and she left with her new kitty! I've asked Tigger's new mommy to send me a photo once she settles in, which I'll definitely post here.

The second tame cat is another kitten; a male DSH tabby & white who looks to be about 5 - 6 months old. I named him "Mickey". He's a fabulous cat! He's really playful and gregarious, and he absolutely loves people! The Recovery Centre volunteers were concerned about interacting with him because he was shoving up against the trap bars so much that he ended up with a bloody nose, trying to get at them, and they were worried he was aggressive. Lol, not unless you're afraid of being loved to death! The centre volunteers don't always have a lot of feral experience though, so it's understandable. Unfortunately, the cats from this colony all have roundworm, so Mickey has diarhea, which he got all over himself in his frantic efforts to escape his trap for cuddles. I gave him a bath with a wet washcloth yesterday, but I'll have to go buy some kitty shampoo today, so I can clean him up properly. He'll be much nicer to cuddle when his weaving and headbutting don't result in me being covered in poo.

The 3rd cat I trapped on Monday is a young adult tortie. She's absolutely beautiful, and clearly not feral, but she's the kind of cat that does often get put back outside because she's an adult, and a tortie, and not immediately adoptable. I'll put her back if I have to, but she could definitely be worked with, so I'm kind of hoping I can arrange foster care for her somewhere, though I haven't figured out where yet. I can't keep these cats at the Recovery Centre for more than a week or two at the very most, so I'm kind of frantically calling people to try and arrange something else, either temporary foster care or adoption. I managed to find someone who is interested in adopting a cat, but she has to talk her SI into the idea first. Fingers crossed!

My parents will kill me if I move anymore cats into our house, but maybe the garage...?

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Premier Cat

What wonderful work you do!!! Yes, the ones that would fit into the home environment should be given every chance to succeed! Here is a longshot thought, maybe you can send some form letters to some of the residents there. Maybe make up a flyer and canvas about 3 or 4 streets, maybe 75-100 homes and see if someone would be willing to take in a cat or two or three! If I lived there I would be happy to deliver the letters!! These cats are from their community - it may appeal to their sense of civic pride and duty (?). Just a thought - I know how stressful this can be! I think the garage is a great idea! I know in Canada it must be starting to get chilly now.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 07:25 AM
Cat Addict

You do great work! It's tough enough to TNR ferals back to a sketchy colony, but when cats actually turn out to be tame you feel that special obligation, which I know only too well.
I agree, there might be more people in that neighborhood like the lady who adopted Tigger. You never know. Some flyers with photos might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Removing tame cats and kittens from colonies is an important part of TNR, but it's often not possible due to lack of resources. I don't "work for" any specific rescue, so I don't have to justify how I spend my own time or money--if I want to invest the effort to socialize semi-ferals, I'm free to do so, and I'll do whatever I can to avoid returning completely tame cats like these. The flyers are a good idea. I don't live anywhere near the colony where I trapped the cats, but I will send photos to the colony caretaker and the woman who adopted Tigger and ask them to speak with their neighbours. It's not especially cold in Toronto yet at this time of year, but I know freezing overnight lows aren't a long way off. It can get very cold in the winter, and cats do freeze to death, so it's something those of us who practice TNR in this city do really worry about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I have photos!! None of Tigger yet, unfortunately, but I did get pictures of Mickey and the beautiful tortie!

Mickey!

Beautiful tortie! Any name suggestions for her would be appreciated; I feel bad calling her "the tortie" all the time.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 03:47 AM
Premier Cat

Dt8thd, oh my goodness! Little Mickey with his scraped up nose...poor baby! He's a little cutie! And such a pretty Tortie girl!
A name popped into my mind as soon as I saw her picture..."Nutmeg", like the spice!
I'm so glad you took these two in! I hope you can find them homes soon!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7cats2dogs View Post
Dt8thd, oh my goodness! Little Mickey with his scraped up nose...poor baby! He's a little cutie! And such a pretty Tortie girl!
A name popped into my mind as soon as I saw her picture..."Nutmeg", like the spice!
I'm so glad you took these two in! I hope you can find them homes soon!
Yes, they're both lovely cats. Nutmeg is a cute suggestion, I'll try it out and see if it suits her.

I hope I can find them homes soon too, or I'm going to have to move them into my garage, and my parents will not be pleased with me if I do that.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Cat Addict

What about Pepper for the tortie? They are both adorable. Poor Mickey, that nose looks painful!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyatl View Post
What about Pepper for the tortie? They are both adorable. Poor Mickey, that nose looks painful!
Oh, I really like the name Pepper for her; I'll have to see if she looks like a Pepper when I see her tonight. It's too difficult for me to name cats based on their photos; I find that I need to really look at the cat in person to determine whether a name "fits" or not. I'm just odd like that, I guess.

Mickey's nose looks worse than it is, I think. He doesn't react at all when I apply Polysporin. It's not nice to look at though, is it? I would have moved him to one of the large cages sooner, but all of the cats have to go to the feral spay/neuter clinic in a trap or transfer cage, otherwise the staff won't do the operation.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Premier Cat

NUTMEG! I like that name,7! Perfect for her...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page