The right thing to do. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

The right thing to do.

This is the situation: I've seen this stray cat roaming the neighborhood since March this year. I noticed him because he is an orange tabby like mine and because he is grossly overweight. Once, I saw him following a lady to the trash area and approached her and asked if he was her cat. She told me that he was a stray she was taking care of. It turn out that she is member of one of the human societies and had him spayed, vaccinated and released him. Everybody in the neighborhood gives him food (I do too) and he is very friendly. To be honest, he is kind of adorable! When he visits my patio he wants petting, no so much food. He comes like every other day. I can't take him in. I have two kitties on my own already and I can't afford to care for another one in a limited space.

I spoke with Anne, the lady who took care of him and she told me that he is happy this way, that the extra fat will help him go through winter and that he won't like to be an inside cat. She told me he threw a fit when they took him to the vet.

But he seems so friendly and trusting that I can't believe he won't like to be in a home. One time when he came and I petted him, I noticed that his back was wet, like someone threw water on him. Not everyone is a cat lover in the neighborhood.

Should I just let him alone or should I contact an organization that may be able to find a home for him? I don't know how old he is. I know that age is an issue at the time to find a home and old cats may never being adopted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Banned

What an amazing lady Annie is...at least he is fixed so his life will be a little easier.
I think given the right circumstances, he may be able to be an indoor/outdoor cat with someone. He clearly is not feral if he follows people and lets himself be touched. NO cat wants to go to the vet, so her saying he through a fit...mine do that too!
It would be great if someone in the neighborhood could take him in, so he would still have the territory that he knows.
One of the ferals we had in WI (the one that gave birth in our living room) ended up sleeping with us several times; then out of the blue, she disappeared.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Tom Cat

To be honest I think it would be really mean if you took him out of his territory and found a home for him. It seems like a lot of people in the neighborhood enjoy his presence and he enjoys theirs. He isn't hungry, he isn't lonely, he isn't suffering. I see no reason to call an organization and try to turn him into a house cat. I would just let him be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Tom Cat

If he is a friendly cat, I would definitely try to find a home with him, especially since it sounds like you live in a residential neighborhood. A close friend of mine was in a similar situation and was trying to decide what to do. Before she had made up her mind, she was driving home and found him dead on the side of the road. Not to be a Debby Downer, but every day he remains a stray, there is a chance you will have a similar, tragic experience.

Anyways, it sounds like he would be an excellent pet, and would surely benefit from a controlled feeding schedule! I wouldn't wait to contact a rescue

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

"Grossly overweight" is not good, even for a stray cat. Maybe you could coordinate with the neighbors and rotate who feeds him on what days or something.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by suivanova View Post
I spoke with Anne, the lady who took care of him and she told me that he is happy this way, that the extra fat will help him go through winter and that he won't like to be an inside cat. She told me he threw a fit when they took him to the vet.

But he seems so friendly and trusting that I can't believe he won't like to be in a home.
A cat outdoors is not the same as a cat indoors. Some cats have never been inside or don't remember their days as an indoor cat, they will feel confined and stressed indoors. Blacky is a pretty good example of that. Once I'd tamed her outdoors I tried bring her inside and the first thing she did was flip out and jump out a broken window that was way up high, one that I'd never even considered she would be able to reach. It took a long time for her to warm up to the idea of being indoors, and that only was accomplished by having a cat door where she learned to slowly trust coming inside with the stipulation that she could always get back out when she wanted, 24/7. Even now 10+ years later, she hates being shut inside. She is entirely comfortable in the house, but don't you dare close that cat door on her. She'd rather be outdoors and doesn't want to feel trapped, even if being "trapped" is the entire two story house.

I'm not saying every street cat is like this, many adjust well to indoor life but this cat may be one of those cases that doesn't "get" the indoor lifestyle.

The cat could have been highly stressed at the vets... so that is not the best location for deciding if the cat is a good indoor candidate; Jasper being taken to the vets was done in a humane animal trap. He sounded like a wild animal in there (in all fairness, at the time he was semi-feral) but under 6 months later he'd become the is the most laid back house cat there is.

My suggestion would be to lure him indoors and see his reaction when you close the door. If he flips out you'll know at the very least it will take some time to get him used to the indoors. If you're not going to be the person to do that for him, then I'd leave him as the happy outdoor cat he is. However, I agree with Marie on the weight issue... something should be done there. Find out who is feeding him, or pool your money together to get him some good food and feed him at one location.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 10-07-2013 at 06:46 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Tom Cat

OH OOPS, I skimmed over the part that says he is grossly overweight! That's not good at all. My opinion has changed then.

If you can't get everyone in the neighborhood to stop feeding him or set up days where certain people feed him, then I think he should be placed in a loving home.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

I wish my friends could do that with me!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 05:58 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
I wish my friends could do that with me!

With you or for you??
I would not want a feeding rotation - I'd have to give advanced menus. One friend is from Poland and the Poles are not known for their culinary expertise.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
I would not want a feeding rotation - I'd have to give advanced menus. One friend is from Poland and the Poles are not known for their culinary expertise.
Me and my kielbasa take offense!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page