Feral caregivers, aren't you dreading the cold weather? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Feral caregivers, aren't you dreading the cold weather?

I was just thinking, in a way I am very glad that I live in Florida, and we have a pretty small amount of cold weather compared to most of the US. And I am glad of that. I used to love our cold weather, those few nights that got down in the 30's and highs of maybe 50, if we are lucky. Now I just dread them. My Arwen, who knows how old she is. She is probably anywhere from at least 5 - 10 years old, I would think a pretty old cat for a feral cat. This will be my second winter of caring for her. I remember seeing her one cold night the previous winter before that, seeing her huddled underneath a car. I know she is a smart girl, but I so worry about this girl as she gets older, I worry about her hearing. She curls up and goes to sleep on my doormat, or on the kitty bed I leave outside. She isn't getting any younger. I love her so much, but she will not even come in my garage for more than 30 seconds much less into my house, and I have 3 indoor kitties.

I'm just lamenting about how much I am dreading the cold weather because of her. Last year I left a heating pad outside on the really cold nights and she did huddle nearby it for a while, but slept under my neighbors shed instead.

Going on Amazon to look at reviews of heated pet beds. And going to pray for an extremely mild winter this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Cat Addict

I just have one feral kitty, Mr. Kitty. I had him neutered about 2 years ago and the vet estimated he was 4 or 5 years old, which is pretty old for a feral. He is extremely territorial and chases off any other kitties that come near my porch! He still hisses at me for coming anywhere near him, but calms down a bit when I have food. Anyhow, I bought an outdoor, covered, heated bed last year, and he wouldn't sleep in it. I left tuna, sardines, treats, etc. in there (which he ate), but he wouldn't stay in there. I think after the trapping incident, he's very scared of closed spaces (can't say that I blame him). His favorite place to sleep is on the adirondack chairs on my porch (which are completely exposed to the air, but at least covered and somewhat sheltered. So I put a heating pad on the chair, and old towels on top of it, with some cardboard on the sides to at least block some of the air. I also left a big rubbermaid container out there with a hole cut in it and some old towels in it thinking he'd prefer that to get into since it's very private, but he still preferred the chair. I think he likes to keep a watch on things and be ready to move if something happens? He seemed completely fine all winter long. I did leave warm cat milk out for him quite often, which he really seemed to enjoy.

So long story short, wanna buy a heated outdoor bed?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Cool Cat

Yes, I am.

Toronto isn't as consistently bone-numbingly frigid in the winter as a lot of other Canadian cities that are further North, but it can still get really cold. Typically, our average winter temperatures are above -10C (14F) with average daytime highs between -5 and 0C, but we sometimes have cold snaps that last a week or two where the daily high is below -10C and the nighttime low would probably freeze a Yeti to death (if they existed).

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Cat

Absolutely. My feral backyard cat survived last winter but I have no idea how. He never used the shelter I built. He appeared to have broken his leg at one point and it healed but badly. He suffered an eye injury from a fight with something leaving his right pupil slightly larger than his left and he is missing his right canine teeth. I doubt he will make it this winter but he has been un-trapable and likely would not do well even if he were trapped. We will continue to offer him food if he shows up and hope we can entice him into a trap or inside but I really have stopped trying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page