3 strays? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat

3 strays?

So the Wal Mart I go to has bushes along the parking lot's edge, and today I saw 3 stray kittens there (maybe around 8 months old?). They didn't seem scared of the people/cars, but they were staying put in the shrubbery. One of them was kinda walking around and the other three were laying there. I couldn't get a very good look at them to see what kind of shape they were in, but they looked skinny. Also, the highway is super close to where they were hanging out, like maybe only about 20 feet from them. It's big highway. I got the impression from them that that Wal Mart's parking lot was their "home" (by the dumpster), but even if I were to go back and see them and even catch them I would never be able to keep or even foster them (I still live with my mom), so I'm basically wondering if there's anything I can do? Would it be a better life for them to try and make it there, or should I catch them and try to take them to the SPCA?

I'm really not sure what the do, any advice would be appreciated!

☆ ☆ ☆
"time spent with cats is never wasted."
[
edgar | michonne | novalee | oliver | kosmo | pumpkin ] <--- my cats
[ grumpy | big poppa | lily | cj | peanut ] <--- my ferals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Premier Cat

Cats and kitten are being dumped at our local Walmart too! We trap them and get them out of there right away. Too many things can go wrong. The cats we trap were always socialized and once someones pet.

Do you work with a rescue group or is there a no kill shelter in your area that could take them?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Small update since the thread got bumped: my mom said she drove past (because I've been worrying the last few days) there and checked and didn't see them, but I imagine if I looked around enough I might be able to find them. After all, it was obviously a litter and they looked pretty comfortable.

And no! Unfortunately, our local animal shelter is currently full and aren't taking any cats. There's a local program called START that might be able to help, and if I see them again I'm going to give them a call. It broke my heart, but until I get my my own place I'm completely helpless. I just never know what to do when I find a stray. I don't want to bring it a shelter where it'll likely be killed, but leaving it to fend for itself seems so cruel too!

☆ ☆ ☆
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Premier Cat

We hear ya,Struckers. TOUGH call. Tough sitch. Strays CAN survive adverse weather,other strays,etc,cats are a deceptively tough species. But a life on the street is no life for a person OR a cat. Some strays have a network of friendly humans,they're house-to-housers,they follow a ROUTE. Some have been survivors since they were born. If they've got some weight they're probably in no IMMEDIATE danger...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Premier Cat

Once you get familar with the rescues in your area you will find the little ones can help too. Start calling and networking then maybe you can find some cat lovers to help.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Bumping for an update. Sigh, so I thought they might have moved on, but I saw the three of them today. They're very scared of people, which is a good thing since they're literally in leaping distance of a GIANT three-lane highway. They're so close to it. I'm going to call the local group START and see if they have advice, because I have no clue what to do. Even if I trapped them, if no one was willing to take them, what would I do?

☆ ☆ ☆
[
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Premier Cat

Find a barn to relocate. Were very against relocating unless in dangerous situations like this. There is a way to relocate if you want any type of success. I would trap/neuter vaccinate, tip ear and return to a barn.

If you decide this is what you want to do then wed all have tips on how to do this. Or your local TNR group may be experienced in relocating to barns or safer locations
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckers View Post
They're very scared of people, which is a good thing since they're literally in leaping distance of a GIANT three-lane highway.
They need to be trapped and tamed or trapped and relocated. Being afraid of people is not going to translate to being afraid of cars. Cats of all sorts die on roadways. I know someone that watched a cat die because another cat chased them on the road...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Yeah, I figured out that being scared of people =/= being scared of cars today. I went by today to leave them out some food (as far away from the highway as possible) and one of the orange tabbies and another tabby (that I hadn't seen before!) dashed out of the bushes chasing and playing with each other. They ran RIGHT up to the edge of the road (literally two feet away) and were tackling each other and playing around. I got out but didn't really know what to do. I figured they do this a lot since I only visit when I can and they live there, but it TOTALLY freaked me out and I REALLY didn't want to startle them into running into the highway. Well, luckily they dashed back into the bushes and I left out the food (it was at night).

Right before that though, I got to talk to the lady who runs the adoption agency at our local Petsmart in person (she just happened to be there when I stopped by) and she said that she had called a friend of hers who traps ferals and adopts them out/relocates them if necessary. She hadn't gotten in touch with her yet, but said she would call me right when she could. I'm crossing my fingers she can help, but if she can't, I would definitely be willing to try to relocate myself. I feel like it's my responsibility now to help these poor babies. I honestly have no idea how they haven't been hit yet, it truly is a miracle.

☆ ☆ ☆
[
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:58 AM
Premier Cat

Have you heard back from the rescue woman from Petsmart? I pray you can get these cats out of there safely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page