Can cat homelessness be eliminated? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Can cat homelessness be eliminated?

If I had the power, I would make it illegal to own non-sterilized cats. I would provide free spay and neuter service to eliminate any financial excuse. And I would have a trap neuter release program along with cat feeders to control feral cats. My city's animal shelters would import cats from other cities as needed to provide pets for our citizens, but there would be no longer any need to kill cats to control their population.

Is anybody aware of a city that has successfully eliminated cat homelessness through some sort of regulations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Tom Cat

People spaying and neutering and not letting their cats outside would end it pretty quickly. It doesn't matter what programs there are to help the existing feral cats if irresponsible people continue to allow their intact animals outside to continue to reproduce.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Cat Addict

There are some great movements in some urban areas: Kansas City, St Paul, Tampa.

The person to ask is Mitts & Tess. She has shared a lot of information here in the forum about different individual shelters, municipal animal control operations, and entire cities that embrace No-Kill (of which TNR is a huge part).

It follows (in my mind) that cat homelessness rates would drop after these type initiatives are in place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla baxter View Post
People spaying and neutering and not letting their cats outside would end it pretty quickly. It doesn't matter what programs there are to help the existing feral cats if irresponsible people continue to allow their intact animals outside to continue to reproduce.

I agree with you, but has any city actually tried to enforce common sense among cat owners and succeeded? I know some cities require dogs to have tags showing they have their vaccinations. Why couldn't a city require cats to be sterilized and if an owner doesn't comply then the city takes the cat away to be sterilized and given to another home? Of course the city would provide free sterilization and free annual check-ups for all cats. (Maybe I should have called this thread "I have a dream" since this is MLK day. I suppose I'm dreaming, but I wonder if any city has done this?)
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Tom Cat

While I like it there could be reasons for a cat not being fixed. For example- bad reaction to the anesthesia. Making them keep them inside-yes I could see that!! Honestly between me and a neighbor,trapping and TNR has helped. Also we found homes for the "problem" cats and it has helped keep the pop down where we live. I feel if some laws were put in place it would help cat populations go down!

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Tom Cat

Also would it be where you had to have a license to breed? Have to actively do something to breed? If we sterilize all cats soon there will be none...yes there are millions in shelters but let say today ALL cats had to be fixed...in 20-30 years there could be no cats,at all! That's just my 2 cents though.

post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Senior Cat

I think with a dedicated, grass-roots effort and sufficient resources (i.e. $$$$$), it's possible to reduce the problem to miniscule levels within a municipality, so that it's essentially no longer a problem from a practical standpoint. But there's no way to completely eliminate it, IMO; there would simply be too much legal issues and bureaucracy involved enforcing S&N activities with personally-owned pets.

But as I mentioned, there's really no need to eliminate the problem entirely. If 95-99% of all homeless/stray/feral cats could be TNR'ed, this would be a monumental achievement in itself.

Caretaker of two black cats

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicesmom View Post
While I like it there could be reasons for a cat not being fixed. For example- bad reaction to the anesthesia. Making them keep them inside-yes I could see that!! Honestly between me and a neighbor,trapping and TNR has helped. Also we found homes for the "problem" cats and it has helped keep the pop down where we live. I feel if some laws were put in place it would help cat populations go down!
Maybe cats that can't handle the anethesia could have an implant that releases hormones? I admire that you are helping with TNR. I need to start volunteering my time too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicesmom View Post
Also would it be where you had to have a license to breed? Have to actively do something to breed? If we sterilize all cats soon there will be none...yes there are millions in shelters but let say today ALL cats had to be fixed...in 20-30 years there could be no cats,at all! That's just my 2 cents though.
After most of the cats are sterilized in the city, we would import cats as needed from other cities that do not have their cats sterilized yet. Eventually the number of cat births would be controlled to match the number of people who want cats ... somehow. (We'll cross that bridge when we come to it )
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
If 95-99% of all homeless/stray/feral cats could be TNR'ed, this would be a monumental achievement in itself.
I agree it probably can't be eliminated completely. I have never lived anywhere that enforces any kind of pet ownership regulations. (Maybe the regulations exist but they aren't enforced). I wonder if there is a wealthy and progressive city somewhere where the government is providing its muscle in a big way to help solve the problem? And I wonder if it has been successful? Usually it is left to volunteers. Imagine if we left the fire department and police to unpaid volunteers.

Last edited by marie73; 01-28-2015 at 03:35 PM.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Senior Cat

Just to add, I think that many cities already have requirements and by-laws regarding pet licensing which includes cats, and maybe even neuter/spay policies, but it's really up to each individual to to make sure they're following the rules, as there simply isn't enough resources to dedicate resources to enforce such a policy. As you can imagine, animal and pet control probably isn't high on the list of a city's problems to tackle. A quick look at municipal pet shelters will tell you how overwhelmed and inundated most of them are.

So it's up to well-intentioned individuals to form/participate in pet rescue organizations, to both tackle the immediate problem at a community level, and also raises awareness with local citizens and government.

Caretaker of two black cats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page