Arwen not feeling well - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Arwen not feeling well

I know I live in Florida, and it's not nearly as cold as the rest of the US, but it has been cold for what we are used to, and rainy on top of that. 40's and constant rain here. My little Arwen as sneezing a little bit yesterday, and her left eye was closed a little, when she eventually opened it, it was watery. She did this last winter too, got a little cold. She spent the entire day yesterday in my garage and did not even once ask to go out, that's how bad she felt. This morning, she cried to go out there and she is just sitting there debating whether to stay out or not, but I imagine she will be back in safely on her warming mat in a few minutes.

I bought some L-lysine chews from Petco. They were 250 mg each and I read that 500mg a day is the correct dosage to give her for now, and when she is better that 250mg is a maintenance dosage. I was just wondering if these chews were OK? I know that I could have bought the capsules from the store and put it in her food, but she is the world's pickiest cat and sometimes does not eat her food and if there is anything off with it, she will refuse it. She actually likes these chews. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion about them in the treat form, if they were as good as the capsules? They are GNC pets, says made in the USA, and she likes them....which is a miracle.

I hope my girl feels better soon. She as has a cozy little setup in the garage, with her heated bed, and a few other cozy things to lounge on, and we have the space heater out there for short amounts of time, but we don' t need it for long since it's really not that bad.

I wonder about her health. I realize I am going to have to bite the bullet one day and trap her in the cage and take her to the vet. I know I will cry my eyes out to see her distressed and confused when this happens. She trusts me so much, I hate to break it, and at the same time, I want her to get updated shots and tests to see if they can tell if she has any of the dreaded kitty diseases. I suspect she may, which is one reason I seem to not want to take her in.

My love for this cat, I can't even describe it. I love ALL of my cats, but my love for this girl is like nothing I have ever felt for any other pet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 AM
Cat Addict

I've never used them. I know they're much pricier than getting plain powder, but other than that, I haven't heard anything negative about them. L-Lysine is L-Lysine, and if she likes them, then I'd stick with it. They do make L-Lysine powder that has no taste (I've tasted it because I use it myself when I'm feeling sick). I'd be surprised if she'd be able to taste it, but you never know. I would use that before I'd use the "flavorized" powders made for pets.

You know, I was so stressed out about trapping Monkey in the garage, but he actually seemed to trust me more after that happened. I think I was more stressed than he was! Cats are very resilient and adaptive. I'm sure she knows you love her, and it sounds like she's very bonded to you too. She might be mad at you for a day or two, but I don't think she'll leave. If it were me, I'd take her in to get her tested and vaccinated just so you know...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

You are right Emily. She may be mad at me for a day or two, and I can always keep her in the garage for a day or so until she calms down. I don't believe she will leave though, this street is the only life she has ever known. Her problem is not only that she doesn't like her food if I put anything in it, it's also that sometimes she just doesn't eat her food. I think because she is outside eating God knows what, so at times she inhales her food and other times.....many times, I just end up throwing it out. And she will NOT eat any other cat food besides fancy feast, ugh, no matter what I try. Nope. Won't touch it, even if it's some super stinky gross kind that my inside pigs will climb over each other to get at, she won't touch it. Actually, if I happen to be cooking chicken or beef or some kind of meat, which is only maybe once or twice a week at the most, I will give her some of the raw meat or if we have a rotisserie chicken, I give her that. She will inhale human food! Probably all of those years eating food from garbage cans My poor girl, I used to see her only on garbage days, for years, and that was the only time she came out of wherever she was hiding. I would leave cat food next to the garbage can, and she would not even touch it, for years. I don't know why one day she decided to trust me, I'm just so happy she did.

She's not very happy with me right now. I let her out for an hour, but it's cold and rainy, so I called her back in here to the garage and closed her in. She stared at me with that face for about 15 minutes and finally curled up on her bed and is now sleeping. I tried to tell her that she doesn't need to be out in the cold rainy weather with a cold. Now I guess I just have to be the bad guy and make her stay in here anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:26 AM
Cat Addict

Well, Fancy Feast is not as bad as some others (Friskies, Whiskas, etc.). If you're giving the Classic pate versions, they're actually the better ones. Most of them are grain free. I've had picky cats who would only eat FF too. Not much you can do about it, at least you know she's getting a balanced diet!

Monkey was mad at me for a day or two after I brought him in and would stare at me like he was going to rip my face off. But now he sleeps in bed with me! It took a while to get him used to being inside, but he seems to love it now. He still howls at the back door sometimes (where he used to come in and out), but I can live with it. I just don't want to risk letting him out knowing he's FIV+ and could get sick.

I hope you get some good news and find that she's not FIV or FeLV positive. It sounds like she's relatively healthy for having been on the streets that long. Paws crossed!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:09 PM
Premier Cat

Howsefrau, if Arwen is eating the chews, then stick to those for now! Its more important to get the L-lysine into her at this point, to boost her system.
I wouldn't worry about what you're feeding her right now either! The Pate's that Emily mentioned are still sooooo much better than only dry!
Cats that spend a lot of time outdoors, especially in the cold can use extra calories to help keep them
warm...
I think you should get Arwen to the Vet for all the basic checks!
STAY CALM!!
You'll make it harder for her-If she's picking up your Stress!!
I can understand your concern about cat diseases...
But don't make yourself sick with the "IFS" until you have her Vetted!
You've made Huge Strides with Arwen!
Don't give up, Stay patient AND stay calm!!:p
Hugs and Prayers!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:24 PM
Cat Addict

My male cat is not really feral but he lived outdoors for the first 7 months of his life and that seems to be what he prefers. It is rainy here today and 50 degrees but he insisted on going outside this morning. In fact to get him to eat I had to put the food outdoors. Recently my daughter came with her very nice dog and I decided I would lock him in a bedroom rather than he disappear for the time she was here including nights. He howled and wouldn't eat but did use the litter box. He tried to get out and acted so like a caged animal. Instead of sleeping on the cushy bed in the closet he hid under other things in the closet. I would go in now and then and tell him it was ok. When they left the next day I let him out and figured I wouldn't see him for 24 hours. To my surprise he came back for the evening and hung out with me on the sofa. So now I feel that maybe this was the best way to go. I think Arwen has developed some trust with you. It is kind of when you have kids and have to make them do what is best even if it they seem to hate you for it. It settles back to normal.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thank you all. I know you are right, she will eventually get over it and be OK, when I take her in. I am wondering if the composure treats will have any affect at all on her, if I give her those before taking her in? I guess it can't hurt to try, and I have feliway spray also that I can spray in the garage and near the cage. I actually only have a small dog cage which actually is not the greatest for taking a cat in....it's kind of too big, and they slide around in it. I think I'm going to invest in a smaller cat taxi, and of course, cover her up once I get her in there. I will just leave it in the garage, open, and regularly put some food in there, let her get used to it before I take her in. My vet said that they can actually sedate her, by a gas (I think that's what they said), while she is still in the carrier. Doe anyone know about this method?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Cat Addict

I know many clinics use isoflourane for anesthesia, which is a gas. I'm not aware of a sedative that's a gas. Maybe that's what you're vet referring to? They normally have to put a mask on them for this though.

I think she'll be ok. Really, I think the whole process stresses us out more than it does them. Monkey HOWLED the entire way to the vet, but they said he was an angel once they got him back. He was perfectly fine later that day too.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Cat Addict

How is Arwen doing?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 12:05 AM
Premier Cat

Howsefrau, How go the Adventures of Arwen and you!
Haven't seen an update for a while!:p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page