If a feral disappears do they every come back? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Cat

If a feral disappears do they every come back?

Mooch, my impossible to trap feral started showing up less frequently and has vanished entirely for the last 2 weeks. The last time I saw him, he tapped at the door, had a meal, chattered at my 2 cats, took a step inside for a bit and then bolted out the door. Since then we have had 2 snow storms, several nights of single digit temps. He never seemed in the best of shape but has never vanished for this long. Do they return or is this just the life cycle for a feral?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Cat Addict

Oh wow,I am so sorry. I know how awful you must feel and how worried you probably are. This is my biggest nightmare with my feral girl that I have cared for for years. In two years, I had two days that she did not show up and I was inconsolable. I am very attached to this girl, obviously.

I don't know if yours will ever come back. It is always possible that he made friends with someone and they took him inside. I know that my girl has been sleeping in my garage at nights, and several people on my street were worried about her, and had not seen her for a while and were relieved to hear that she was ok. So that does happen, they could have made a home somewhere. I would keep thinking that is what happened to him, because otherwise you will drive yourself crazy with worry about other things that could have happened.

Hopefully Mooch will show up (great name for a feral, lol) and decide that he likes hanging around your place for a while, if he has not settled on another place. There are a lot of people that love cats out there, lots of crazies like me And I can tell you that those crazies that see a cat out in the cold have ways of making those cats come inside, or into a garage and he could be hanging somehwere right now.

Is it possible to make him an inside cat if he does come back? In my situation, it is not possible right now.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks. We have been feeding Mooch for almost 2 years. He never stays, refused the supplied shelter, never approached the trap. I am going to miss hearing, Moochie is here, do you want to feed him? We were making small steps the past few months but he was never going to be a lap cat even if caught. We can only hope he found a place at someone elses house for the winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Cat

It's a dangerous world out there for cats. Two weeks seems a long time to not show up. Cats can be preyed upon by dogs, foxes, eagles, hawks, and coyotes. I saw an episode of the PBS show "Nature" that was on coywolves and coyotes. One researcher estimates there are at least 200 coyotes in the greater Chicago area. They do well in urban environments. They've been known to wipe out whole colonies of feral cats.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Cool Cat

I've heard of feral cats getting "lost" in snow storms. The smells and sights they're used to get covered, and they sometimes wander into different neighborhoods or parts of town to find shelter. This could be a possibility. I wouldn't give up hope, it's a possibility he just wandered a bit too far or found a "temporary" home. Hopefully your buddy comes back soon!

Years ago when our family cat Cuddles was just a stray we fed, she went missing for 2-3 weeks in the winter and then magically reappeared as spring approached. We still aren't sure what happened to her, our only guess is someone gave her temporary shelter in a garage (some people lock strays up in their garage to provide shelter from the cold) or she just wandered off a bit too far. Luckily for us she wasn't feral and we quickly took her in permanently after the scare of losing her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Cat Guy View Post
It's a dangerous world out there for cats. Two weeks seems a long time to not show up. Cats can be preyed upon by dogs, foxes, eagles, hawks, and coyotes. I saw an episode of the PBS show "Nature" that was on coywolves and coyotes. One researcher estimates there are at least 200 coyotes in the greater Chicago area. They do well in urban environments. They've been known to wipe out whole colonies of feral cats.
Yikes, not exactly an encouraging story for fanwoodguy to hear. Judging by the fact he's been a stray for 2 years, I'm guessing he has pretty good street smarts, so hopefully none of that is the case!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Tom Cat

Who knows? My Kermit is 12 and has been indoor since he was born of a stray (abandoned?) mother who jumped on my shoulder on a dark night when I stepped outside my back door. Yes, I trembled till I knew what it was. Phone on her collar tag was disconnected...no response to ads etc.

And she gave us a litter of four about a week later. We found homes for all but Kermit who we kept. Indoor only. But he got out one day and was gone for three days. I of course, went looking in the early morning and late at night.

And that is when I found out how many ferals there are in the 'hood'. ah, inner city. Some areas they were grouped, in others they were milling about. Little Kermit wouldn't survive in their colony but I kept looking.

the 3rd day, I met Clyde, a feral stray whom I had been leaving food out occassionally. We had actually gotten to the point where he would sit in my lap but I had to be careful...no touchy, petting yet..He was strong.

I had been leaving our back porch door open but no Kermit came in and Clyde never used it either for those two days..Normally it is closed. Anyhow, I had Clyde on my lap after my morning seach ended fruitless and I said to him, "Clyde, find Kermit for me." and got up and went to work. when I came home about lunch time, there was Clyde and Kermit nestled together inside the porch near a window. Upon seeing me, Clyde went down and out and Kermit stayed.

Clyde was around a little more and then was gone. After that I have tried to have a place for one or more ferals in my crowded city lot. Shelter from the cold if they need it. I now have a grey/white adult known as the gray ghost who scurries away from a 'nest' when I approach....very feral.

But that is ok. We can't save them all.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Cat Addict

I've had ferals not show up for a week before. I would just try to stay positive and hope that someone else took him in. You never know. I know it's really hard with ferals because we can grow just attached to them as we are our indoor kitties (even more so). I hope he shows up again!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Cat

Fingers crossed that Mooch is safe and that he returns to let you know all is well.

Is it worth posting a "lost" ad on Craigslist or putting up posters in case someone does have him inside? You could even say you just wanted to make sure he was safe somewhere.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 AM
Premier Cat

Fanwoodguy, its possible that he's looking for females in early heat...which, inspite of cold temperatures, can start very early...
Keep your eyes open and keep food ready! Do you have one of those water bowls you can plug in so the water doesn't freeze?

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Jr. Cat

I feel your pain!!! I have invested months and months in my feral kitties, working with my local humane society program on trapping every single one humanely so they can get spayed and neutered and given their shots. I have counted at the very least 12 of them and we've caught them all except for two, Mr Moostache and Blackie are my two wiley ones. This month has been terrible with cold weather, one week we dropped down into the -30s...I seriously feared for all of their lives and prayed that they found shelter under a warm house somewhere or in someones garage. You cant assume the worse, or that will make you sick. These cats are street cats and are smart! They use every resource they can get their little paws on.

We also got to remember that we probably aren't the only ones feeding them and caring for them. A couple of the cats I've caught while working with this program looked like cats that go indoors and outdoors because of how healthy their coats and weight were. Most of my cats come, eat and are gone until the evening. Some do not even come back a 2nd time that day. Just stay positive!! And keep an eye out! When he finally comes back from whatever hes doing, which could very well be finding a lady friend to cozy up to, he's going to be so hungry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page