Should I take him in? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Should I take him in?

There is this friendly little cat outside that I feed every day.
I've caught him before, and he has been neutered, and given his shots.

I've known him since he was a kitten (Before we did TNR)

I know he's an out door cat, but I want to take him in, and socialize him, and get him adopted.
I've socialized feral kittens before
(Ones that were 3-5 months old)
He's about 10 months old.

Let me give you some information on him to help you, help ME decide:

I've seen him running around, playing with leaves, and snow.
I've seen him rolling around on the floor, purring.
He enjoys playing with laser pointers.
Every time I open the back door, he puts his front paws up on the door, almost like he wants to come in.
He sleeps by the back window, by the door, and when I go near him, and put my hand up on the glass, he puts his paw where my hand is.
I don't know if he's playing, or it's just something he does, but its kind of touching.

I will post a few pictures of him, and let you guys help me decide what I should do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	walnut.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	48618  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5485.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	48626  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

You always ask our opinion and then take in the cat anyway, and then end up posting about all their issues.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Cat Addict

What do your parents say?

I would say you have a good work in progress, but on an outdoor-only level. I wouldn't push it in taking him indoors. You're already feeding him and he knows the outdoor lifestyle... bringing him inside would be super stressful.

I'd think of him as your extra outdoor only cat and if he warms up to you more maybe one day you can think about bringing him indoors or working on having an indoor/outdoor cat.

You already sort of know the work that goes into taming a kitten, and you seemed to think it should be a very quick process... it isn't. Although this guy doesn't sound totally feral from what you're saying he is much older and may be much harder to tame, even on an outdoor-only level.

If you'd wanted to tame him for another home/lifestyle I'd have done it when he was younger. At this age he may only warm up to the one that tames him.

Along with the dogs
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
You always ask our opinion and then take in the cat anyway, and then end up posting about all their issues.
Isn't that the point of this forum?
To question the issues, and seek advice on our cats?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you, I will take your advice.
We'll see how he is later on in his life.

Last edited by marie73; 02-25-2014 at 12:49 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFatPat View Post
Isn't that the point of this forum?
To question the issues, and seek advice on our cats?
Yes, but imagine the frustration when someone repeatedly asks for advice and then repeatedly does the OPPOSITE... then comes and asks for help because it isn't working out.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Jr. Cat

Take him in and see if he is ok with it
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Cat

So cute. I took in a brother and sister at the age of 1 year that were barn cats. I had them in my garage for 2 months and noticed how friendly they were. I could even pick them up. I brought them to a vet then they were sent to a no kill shelter and were both adopted as indoor cats. I am so happy I did that because I already have 2 in my house and couldn't have 2 more.

The ones I have in my house are mother and daughter. I took the mother in when she was pregnant at about eight months old who was also my neighbors barn cat. She had her 3 kittens in my house, I gave two away and kept one for her company. She is now 3 1/2 and has not been outside since. She has adjusted well although the first year she tried to sneak outside a couple times. She has become a wonderful cuddle bug of mine.

Good luck!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Cat Addict

I agree that the cat may never warm up to someone else. I have one like that and he was 7months old when I socialized him. He is afraid of everyone else and even me at times.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Cat Addict

Hmmmm he is adorable...BUT. You have I think 3 other cats?? You have to consider how it will also be on them....they would have to be seperated...he would have to get a clean bill of health from your vet before you could put him with your other cats....and you have to seperate him for a slow introduction to your existing cats. How do your parents feel about another cat..do they have any say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page