Feeling guilty for a homeless cat living on my porch - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Feeling guilty for a homeless cat living on my porch

A couple of new cats have showed up in my neighborhood, but I donít think they are feral cats because they will come to me and let me pet them. One actually sleeps on my front porch in a cushioned patio chair while my cats watch from inside the window.

I donít feed them because I know one of neighbors is feeding all the cats in the neighborhood and I donít mind the cat sleeping on my porch. But I feel so bad that itís outside in the cold while mine are inside a heated room behind the window. The cat doesnít seem to be bothered by it and it usually just sleeps as if it doesnít even know the other cats are watching it.

I just canít take responsibility for anymore cats. I have 5 as it is and I believe the max is 3. I guess Iím asking if Iím worrying about this too much or should I just enjoy the fact that itís safe on my porch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

At the place I just moved from, a cat slept on my steps or in my yard almost the entire time I lived there, and he had a home three doors down. I think if you were living somewhere colder, it would be different, but in Southern California, he's fine. He's being fed, he has a safe place to stay and your cats have a bit of entertainment.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 07:00 AM
Premier Cat

He's fine in So Cal!. Your cold snaps are our warm weather winter days. My Zipper used to snooze on our porch even when it was in the 20's. Probably really aggravated her arthritis, but she was happy there. If I blocked off the access pet door she was visibly miserable. She had a happy life of porch napping in all sorts of weather.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
At the place I just moved from, a cat slept on my steps or in my yard almost the entire time I lived there, and he had a home three doors down. I think if you were living somewhere colder, it would be different, but in Southern California, he's fine. He's being fed, he has a safe place to stay and your cats have a bit of entertainment.
Thanks Marie, its funny that you mention they had a home, because I've suspected that this cat might have also home, but chooses to sleep at my house for some reason.

I don't know why it bothers me and I guess I should just leave it alone. It looks healthy and happy. I put a cardboard box out with some old clothes in it for have more privacy, but it prefers to sleep in the chair so I guess its fine.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
He's fine in So Cal!. Your cold snaps are our warm weather winter days. My Zipper used to snooze on our porch even when it was in the 20's. Probably really aggravated her arthritis, but she was happy there. If I blocked off the access pet door she was visibly miserable. She had a happy life of porch napping in all sorts of weather.
Thanks Marcia
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Cat Addict

My cat likes it outdoors... she doesn't care if it's raining or windy, either. Certainly doesn't mean she's homeless.

Maybe your porch has a good vantage point or something? Cats like being able to see what's going on from a safe distance.

Along with the dogs
and
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Premier Cat

I hope you're reassured that you don't need to worry about whether the kitty is comfortable or not. You definitely shouldn't feel guilty, since kitty is happy, but this is probably harder to control. But remember that you're putting your kitties' well-being first, which is the way it should be.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks Carmel and Spirite for your approval in this. I guess itís more personal to me because it stirs up some childhood memories when it was me on the outside in the cold looking in.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:00 AM
Premier Cat

Builder, for sure your personal experience is making this situation hit close to home, but you shouldn't feel guilty at all, especially since kitty isn't showing that she (or he) is interested in coming in.

I didn't let my stray inside for three years, because my skittish kitty is still scared of him. He had a cat house, with a bed and heated pad inside, on my covered deck. It doesn't get frigid here, and I knew he wasn't going to freeze to death when it was cold. Still, on a few very cold or windy nights, he would give me a look that clearly meant "please, can I come in just tonight?" That was really, really hard. I had to keep reminding myself that letting him in meant causing my girls a lot of stress.

Definitely just try to enjoy the company!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Just after I posted I noticed that my beagle was jumping on the storm door and when I looked out I saw the cat jumping up on the chair to take a nap. It wasnít even phased by the dog. I wanted to take a picture of it, but then my 7 yr old grandson ran out the door to see it and scared it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page