Feral Cats.. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Feral Cats..

Hello, I am a feral cat enthusiast looking to exchange ideas with other rescue groups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Premier Cat

Glad to have another feral cat advocate here. Do you feed colonies? TNR? Belong to a TNR group. Looking forward to your input and stories!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Tom Cat

Hi and welcome, my two were feral kittens we rescued.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 10:39 PM
Jr. Cat

Hi Feralsoul,
Thanks for supporting the cause. We have TNR'd 6 cats outside my office... and continue to spoil the ones that remain.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 11:30 PM
Cat Addict

I have several inside cats that were strays, and one completely feral cat that I have finally tamed down and she is quite delightful. She was truly feral, she has lived in my neighborhood for 5-8 years, and used to only come out on garbage days, and get into the garbage. Now, for 3 years now, I have fed her, and slowly she has learned to trust me. It took me 6 months before she would even come near me, and probably a year before I could pet her. Now I can pet her, and she sleeps in my garage at night. She is already been TNR. Her name is Arwen and I adore her. She used to only trust me, but now she loves my husband also, and the weirdest thing about her, she doesn't like other dogs, except my neighbors yellow lab. She waits for the dogs owners to walk him every evening, and she follows them on the walk and rubs up against the dog and the dogs owners the entire time. She will throw herself down on the ground in front of the dog and roll around exposing her belly. She has never shown me her belly, and just recently started letting me pet her while she is laying curled up on her bed in my garage. She completely ignores my dog, who is cat friendly, and wants nothing to do with any other friendly dogs in the neighborhood.....I jsut don't get why she does this, but it is so interesting and I can't figure out why she loves this dog so much.
But that is my feral story. I don't work with a rescue. My 3 indoor cats are all strays that found me over the years, and I have a 4th stray that I am fostering until I find a good home for her. They have a way of finding me

Looking forward to hearing more about your ferals
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Jr. Cat

BTW these carters feeders are worth their weight in gold for feeding ferals
they have a dry food trough but I put wet bowls in there if I am around sometimes
Cats using their new feeder - YouTube
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I have two ferals that live in my barn and am adopting two more in a couple months. My own little colony. I am a huge supporter of TNR and regularly do fund raisers and try to help out two of my local feral organizations here in Maine. I'm not sure where everyone else is from but here in Maine (USA) TNR is a new concept to most people. We are overrun with feral cats and the shelters are not equipped to deal with them so most of them get euthanized. I volunteer at my local shelter (which is LOW kill) and this is where I became aware of the feral problem. I am friends with the founders of Tommy's Feral Feline Friends, they have been trying desperately to promote TNR while dealing with ignorance of the population up here for over 20 years. (Tommy's Feral Feline Friends - A NO-KILL Shelter for feral cats - Tommy's Feral Feline Friends) I volunteer for them as well, and am horrified to find that they don't qualify for most grants because they are a no kill group. ? Anyone else run into this? It's so hard to raise funds because people seem to think that these cats should just be put to sleep. It's heartbreaking.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Premier Cat

The policy is to not accept feral cats from the public and for the shelter to start educating the public they support TNR. That is how Tucson H'S did it. They are low kill now. They get grants for s/n of feral cats. Right now all ferals are s/n for free till the grant money runs out. They lend out traps to the public with a deposit. Does your state have a S/N license plate program where they give out monies raised from it for groups that S/N? Try for that grant if you have that in your state.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Banned

Welcome!
I'm no expert but feed strays when we see them; trap/fix them.
Some cats are strays but not true ferals and can be rehomed. Thank you for loving them and caring for them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page