Our stray kitties - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Our stray kitties

We've been leaving kibble on our patio for the kittens that roam our complex. Lately, they've been coming by more and I was able to snap some pictures. We call them Critter and Shadow (can you guess who's who?).

Two days ago, they actually came by together, but they weren't exactly bffs. Shadow's very submissive and they didn't start an all out fight in my patio. I'm just hoping Shadow isn't too scared to come back for food.

When summer break comes, I'm gonna try to TNR Critter. One location loans out traps, but they have a policy that if the cat bites anyone, it gets euthanized--no exceptions. Is that typical or happen often? I'm kinda hesitant bringing Critter there if it might not come back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00368.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	53825  

Name:	CAM00372.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	53841  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 01:30 AM
Kitten

That's awful that they do that one of my cats was totally feral when we got her and all she did was bite when we approached her and hard enough to draw blood! Now she's the friendliest lap cat ever and never bites! Sorry I don't have much advice as I've never done TNR but I just thought I'd reply and say I think it's lovely that you're feeding Shadow and Critter and trying to do whatever you can to help them
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Premier Cat

Find a TNR group in Houston which knows feral cats. Go thru them to borrow a trap. Find out from them where to take the cats to be s\n that do ferals and know how to deal with them. If you deal with ferals rarely should you get bit. Then its your fault not the cats. Thanks for feeding these kitties. And caring about them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Premier Cat

I pulled up the photo on my tablet and saw it has a tipped ear. Its already been s/n! Couldn't tell from the picture of the long haired kiities if it had a tipped left ear.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the advice.

The little black one is already fixed, but not the long hair kitty. He's the one I'd like to have fixed.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Tom Cat

Ok, i have to jump in here. I've never read anything about feral cats.

So when they have been s/n, they actually cut the tip of the ear? I'm thinking this is so anyone can tell at a glance they've been fixed? But isn't that awfully painful to the cat?

Mom to Abby & Gizmo
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Premier Cat

The cat is under so the tipping on their left ear isn't felt and heals quickly. We can tell when a new cat is in a trap if it's been fixed and release him right away or is a new cat in our supported colony if it's fixed or not.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
The cat is under so the tipping on their left ear isn't felt and heals quickly. We can tell when a new cat is in a trap if it's been fixed and release him right away or is a new cat in our supported colony if it's fixed or not.
Thank you. I thought it must be for recognition of a s/n but had never read this before.

Mom to Abby & Gizmo
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Upsate:

It's been a few weeks since we've seen Critter, but the food has been disappearing daily. We see Shadow about once a week or two. This morning, Critter finally came by, sitting by our patio door. He looked horrible! Poor thing looked so miserable, so I gave him some wet foods. Looks like someone else in the complex got a hold of him and shaved him for the scorching Texas summer.

We came home late tonight and right when I walked in the door, I saw Critter waiting on the patio again. Poor thing ate the food I have him and meatball-mode to sleep here for the night. We're gonna look into making a little house for him if he feels comfortable sleeping here!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	received_m_mid_1402855238371_9de0c81c543aad1a70_3.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	61290  

Name:	20140616_013410.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	61298  

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:28 AM
Cat Addict

Poor Critter. Are you sure he hasn't been mistreated by someone, who thought it would be funny to shave him as from the photos it doesn't look like it is very even? He may have come to you for safety if thats the case. I think making a house is a great idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page