Older feral cat taming, opinion needed! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to Zachariah Atteberry
Older feral cat taming, opinion needed!

I have had good success in the past with socializing feral kittens, however I haven't ever tried with one this big. I am asking a very important opinion and need yours.

I can do one of the following:

A) Socialize the cat in the cage picture below or

B)Allow the cat to free roam the upstairs that I am renting from my mom. This upstairs that I am renting is about 1000 sq foot and is separated from the downstairs with a door that only I and my mom have the key to.

Only thing that worries me is the cat hiding under the bed, but I guess it isn't bad to have a "Safe spot" for the cat.

Pics:

Cage -

Room-

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Premier Cat

Zach you have a major cat rescue going on at your house! Well done!

Try reading thru this thread to give you tips in socializing an adult semi feral cat. If a cat once was someones cat they will come around. Some cats take longer than others. The tips are to gently push their limits and the thread Im posting tells you how.

What a lovely looking kitty. Are you going to eventually adopt her out or keep her as one of your kitties?

https://www.catforum.com/forum/56-fer...boot-camp.html
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you! I might keep her, I am not sure yet. Entirely depends on how tame I can get her to be in a few months.

Here is a closer pic of her:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Premier Cat

It may take more than a few months to bring her totally around. Just depends on how long she has been outside on her own. White cats have the hardest time making it outside. They develop skin cancer and cant blend so they are a moving target.

She looks so sad. Ill bet in a month or two she will be relaxed and have happy eyes. I once rescued a white kitty with that same expression. She transformed into the happiest cat. Her before and after pictures were amazing. Your sweet girl will also. What is her name?
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I am willing to take as long as it takes . She is wonderful. I am thinking of a name now, she has been in my care for a little under 10 hours. Going to get a better look at her in a little bit.

She has some stripes on her face and down her back/tail (kind of hard to see because she was charging the trap and got a few minor injuries due to that).

I will make sure to post after pictures here also .
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 02:09 PM
Premier Cat

Keep us updated!
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Premier Cat

Zach, You are Awesome!! up:up:
She does look sad...

I rescued a White, blue eyed cat, turns out she's deaf as well, right at the start of the New Year...she was dumped where I work...
It just made me sick that someone could do that to her...she would never have survived with the coyotes and big owls we have.

I am so Happy you are going to give this poor little missy a chance!!
Please do keep us updated with your progress and ask questions anytime here!
I think your going to end up with a following on this thread! :p
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Cat Addict

Personally I'd keep her in the cage until she's more comfortable with you, once she's tamer I'd consider letting her in the other area.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 01:35 AM
Premier Cat

Great job rescuing this kitty! How upset is she? Does she hiss if you walk towards her?

So are you living upstairs too, or would it be just her? You might need to take your cue from her and see how upset she gets when you're around. If you don't make eye contact and don't reach out to her, just take care of food, water and litter, and she gets more comfortable with your presence - even though it might take weeks - then I'd go for it and see if you can socialize her.

I believe there's someone on this forum who worked on socializing a feral cat for over a year but did ultimately turn that cat into an indoor-only pet.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how things go!
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Premier Cat

I TNRed a cat which had been circling my sisters neighborhood for two years. He wouldnt let us near him so I fed him in my sisters hedge in the back of the yard. After he was neutered he would come to my sister's french doors and look in at the cats. My sister started to let him in and let him out when he wanted. He started staying longer and longer. We could not touch him at first.

I used a lot of the tips I posted earlier. It took 4 years for him to be pick up and carried around and totally social. Now he is the most well adjusted love bug of all my cat and fosters.

About a year ago my sister moved out of state and Ive been taking care of him at my house. I refuse to let him out because we have a big wash which all the wild life travels on. He has accepted Im refusing to let him out. My sister could never handle his meowing and would let him out. But Ive had kids and know how to block out the whining! He now meets us at the door but never door dashes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page