Trapped lactating Mum without kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Trapped lactating Mum without kittens

Hi, I haven't been here for a long time but I really need some advice. I think I messed up big time.
We had 5 feral houses on our porches last winter and on the 15th and 16th of this month we realized we had a momma cat and 4 babies in each of the 2 biggest ones. The one, Sunshine, I knew was pregnant but she has always just come to eat and I've never been able to get her in. The other, Sookie, is just a wee little thing and I had no idea she was even old enough. They have been nursing each others babies and get along fine. Sookie went into heat again last Wednesday and there have been 3 big toms fighting and trying to mate with her ever since. She doesn't seem to want to mate with any of these males and cries and hisses at them when try to mount her. Sunshine has moved her kittens twice since the toms came but always brings them back. Last night she moved them across the street and they nearly got hit. I'm really afraid one the kittens is going to get injured in all of this.

I bought a drop box trap and caught Sookie this aft. The toms finally left. I can't get her spayed till Monday and she is up in the spare room in a crate. I'm moving her into a bigger one tomorrow. The kittens are still in their house. They're eating solid food but still nursing and I believe they're about 8 weeks or more but am not sure.They are not coming out and I don't know how to trap them if they aren't coming out to eat in the trap. I should never have trapped Sookie without the kittens and am thinking of letting her back out. Sorry to ramble and hope this makes sense as I've only had a couple of hours sleep each of the last 3 nights. The ultimate plan was/is to get both mothers spayed and release them, get the 8 kittens in, socialize them and find them homes. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Also need advice on how to keep Sookie comfortable. I know 2 days is 2 long to crate her.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 10:16 PM
Cat Addict

Are the kittens really 8 weeks old? Since they're eating solid food already, they can get along without their mother. Keep them as safe as possible, provide them with food and water and as soon as Mom cat is recovered, bring her back to them.
I know it's stressful!
Don't worry, you're doing the right thing. It's only a few uncomfortable days for the Mom cat, so please, don't release her now! She will be fixed and back with her kits in no time. It just seems forever when you're in the thick of it, stressing out and doing some second guessing.

I went through the same thing once and felt terrible about taking the Mom away from 3 nursing kits, but they started to warm up to me quickly because of the delicious food I brought them. Within a few days the family was all trapped and back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 10:18 PM
Cat Addict

Oh, and - two days is not too long to leave a cat in a roomy carrier or crate, as long as she has a litter box, even a tiny one, and food and water.
It would be best to trap the kittens and bring them to Sookie - if you release Sookie to the kits, she might move them.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you Greenport. It can be overwhelming sometimes and I sometimes wonder whether I'm doing the right thing. We have 6 house cats, 3 of them feral and 2 of their offspring plus one stray and this is the first time I've ever actually trapped one and I think I'm feeling guilty. I usually start the socializing outside and talk them into coming in. The 2 feral house girls were pregnant when they arrived and gave birth inside so this whole thing is different and I worry so much more with outside babies.
Do you have any advice on transferring Sookie to a bigger crate? i have a big plastic dog crate but am worried about her getting loose and not being able to crate her again for the vets.
Thank you again.

Last edited by Mikayla; 05-31-2014 at 10:41 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 10:48 PM
Cat Addict

If Sookie is wild, the vet might prefer to have her in a smaller crate or trap. Most vets in my area are used to spaying ferals who arrive in humane traps. Right now it will only be a little over 24 hours that she has to be in there - not that long if she has all the essentials.

I would definitely bring her back to your house after spaying and trap the kittens as best you can. Bring them inside to her and reunite them.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

That's what I was planning. The kittens are definitely coming in. Whether Sookie stays in for long after she recuperates depends on what she can handle, I guess. There is no litter box in the crate she is in as it's not very big but she does have food and water. That's why I wanted to change her over. I didn't really expect to catch her so I could have been better prepared. Maybe I'll just change her over to one the same as the one she's in but put a little box in. Thanks you for your help.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 11:28 PM
Cat Addict

I've trapoed a lot of cats so feral that I didn't dare transfer them... I handled the litter box situation by putting the humane trap up on blocks and putting a shallow litter box under it, so that the litter was actually pushed up into the cage, if you can picture that.
At least it will give the cat a place to go.

Food and water I could push in from the trap end while the cat cowered in the back.
Not ideal, but it's only temporary.

How is Sookie doing?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

She's mewing quite a lot and hissing when I lift the towel. Poor baby. My one year old ginger boy is talking to her through the door. We transfered her from the trap to a small metal crate and then to a plastic one with a towel in it, as well as food and water.
If I thought I could get her crated again I'd let out as she's in the cat room and there's a box in there.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 02:11 AM
Premier Cat

In the future I wouldnt move a truly feral cat or freak out cat out of a trap to a crate. It would be challenging to get them back into a trap. Most vets who do s/n want them in the trap. Easier to give them a shot in a humane trap, to help put them under or examine them.

This is the type of trap we use. We like it cuz it has a prong fork to move them to the other end of a trap so you can put in food or water or transfer them.

http://http://www.trucatchtraps.com/...ight-duty.html

Like Greenport said about litter boxes underneath the trap or we put puppy wewe pads underneath the trap which is up on two bricks.

Have you tried putting traps baited with food out to get the kittens ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page