Sookie Sue - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Talking Sookie Sue

Sookie is FIV/FeLv negative and home from her spay. They did forget to microchip her and I am not happy about but now have a giant flashing pop up when they enter my name that I want everyone microchipped so that if one of my ferals gets taken to the pound I at least have a chance of getting them back.
She is home recuperating upstairs! Yes!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 02:50 AM
Premier Cat

Yay! I've been following your adventures with Sookie and Sunshine on the other thread.

Will you return her outside once she's recuperated from her spay?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I'm trying to figure that out. I have trapped all of her kittens and 2 of Sunshine's and they are all upstairs in the cat room. Sunshine has taken her other kittens and has not brought them back. I'm planning on rehoming the kittens and am wondering if I shouldn't put Sookie back out instead of in with them. She is really stressed right now after being in a crate for this long and I can't put her in with them now as they'll want to nurse. She has been living in the houses on the porch since early last fall so this is her home and I'm hoping she'll stay. I'm even thinking of cleaning out her house, putting in some fresh straw and a sheet and letting her out this morning as she may recuperate better in her own house away from everything. I think she can hear her kits in the other room and is crying now, I need some advice from someone who has done this before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I'm also worried that she may hinder the socialization of the kittens as she did not want me around them before and is less likely to now. On the other hand, I'm worried that she'll take off though she has never left since she's been here. She and I have developed a bond over the time she's been here and hopefully that is not gone. I would love to keep her.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Premier Cat

What a beautiful girl she is! I love her green eyes - and the little kitten...!

That's a tough choice. I don't have any experience with ferals, so I hope one of the members who does will have some advice. I guess ideally, she would stay in with her kittens until they're weaned, but it doesn't sound like that's going to be feasible.

It wouldn't be the worst if she was back outside, since she's been spayed now, and you're providing shelter and food for her.

I'm surprised Sunshine's not desperately trying to get out to get her other kittens! But it's great that she's nursing Sookie's.

You're doing incredible work by taking in TWO new moms and kittens at once!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Premier Cat

I would say it all depends if you want to have her stay feral or if you would rather she become more socialized. She is older, but you can still use her recouperation time to get her a bit more socialized to you. Have you socialized a feral cat/kitten before?

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

She's outside, eating and hanging with Sunshine and a couple of the regulars. She's been looking for her kittens, poor baby. It was a very tough decision but my main concern right now is socializing the kittens and finding them homes. Sookie came right up to me when I let her out of the crate so I don't think she'll take off, hopefully. I still don't know if I made the right choice. I'm hoping I'll get another chance with her.
I have socialized 3 ferals at 18 months, 7 months and another around 8 months. They all live with us along with 2 of their offspring (the girls came to us pregnant)and an abandoned young cat we took in.This is my first time with kittens that weren't born here though.
I feel so guilty and worried but still have to find Sunshine's other kittens if she still has them and get her spayed too. She is still eating under the box trap every day so hopefully will be easy to trap.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Premier Cat

Mikayla,
I think it's normal to have mixed feelings!
In the long run, everyone will be better off for what you're doing!
I know it's hard work and takes patience, and it sounds like more capable than you think!
You're doing Great!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

This is so weird. I was just writing about Sunshine and her other kittens and she's up on the porch with them now. She has been hiding them since Sunday.
Thank you for the encouragement and thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page