Hurt feral boy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Hurt feral boy

My little feral who is male and 2 years old came into my breezeway all cut up and crying. He easily went in a carrier so $1000 dollars later I am caring for him in my basement. He was neutered while he was being stitched and given his shots. He cries a lot and I am feeding him 4 times per day. I even tried sleeping on the couch in the basement to get him more comfortable. He is not a happy little guy right now and I cannot let him out for 2 weeks.

My question is will he calm down especially after being neutered? I don't want him to run away or get eaten by the coyotes around my house. He is just a small guy and always gets beaten by other cats and who knows what else. I can tell he is miserable and I have 2 indoor females already and cannot keep in inside with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:45 AM
Cat Addict

Oh poor little guy. In my experience most ferals tend to be quite noisy, is he normally? Do you think he is crying because he is scared and in some pain or because he wants to go back out,although he seems to have a tough existence from which you seem to be the only relief. Do you think he may be a candidate for adoption? I cannot remember how long you can keep a feral cat away from its territory before it loses it. Maybe it would be worth talking to Alley Cat Allies for some advice
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Premier Cat

Thank you for helping this little guy. I am no expert but I am pretty sure he will calm down. Right now he is hurt, scared and in an unfamiliar place. Others here may be more qualified to give you advice. Put a used tshirt on his bed or wherever he likes to sleep when you are not there so he can smell you. Buy some Feliway plug in or spray that may help cal him down. Give him yummy treats and make sure he has a few toys and a scratching post. Make the basement his happy place. Again thank you for helping this boy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Banned

Yes, thank you for helping the little guy out. We had a feral at our old house that started coming around spraying and always in fights. We caught him and had him fixed. OY on the yowling and screeching and being quite upset. We had a sunspace where we left the cage he came home in but it takes weeks before the hormones diminish. The smell of his urine was enough to make me want to puke even sleeping upstairs. I finally told DH we had to let him go...between the smell and the crying, it was just unbearable for all concerned.
So we did...let him go. I was expecting to never see him again. By 3pm, he came for his usual feeding and from then on, never left the area and started coming and finally sleeping with us. We actually took him when we moved and he is the most loveable and affectionate and (still noisy) sweet boy.
I hope you have equal success.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat

He is a talker when he is hungry or sees another cat. I went down to feed him and give him his antibiotics and he hissed at me then let me pet his head for a bit. I think he is scared. The one thing the vet did not do that really irritated me was take his ticks off. He has had 5 huge full ticks fall off so far and I see another one on his neck.
His name is Chip, he has no interest in the toys but I can hear him using the scratching post. I would love to see if he could be adopted but at this point I don't think so.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Chip is so skinny. What can I feed him to help him put on some pounds? He has had diarrhea for the past 2 days and also had a UTI so I am worried about giving him dry food.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Premier Cat

Wet kitten food will give him extra calories to help him gain weight.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Here is a picture of the little guy.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	60793
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Tom Cat

What a sweetheart. I'd be giving him lots of wet kitten food ... I would think as much as wants at this point.

Mom to Abby & Gizmo
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat

He isn't eating as much today but he let me pet his head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page