Female Feral Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Female Feral Cat

Hello,

I have been feeding a female feral cat for 7 months now (Dec to Jun) and have yet to see her pregnant. She looks to be around 2 years old. I would think that she would have gotten pregnant by now since she is friendly with a male feral. I can take her to the Humane Society to have her spayed but wonder if she maybe is infertile and spaying would be unnecessary. Thank you and regards.

Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Banned

It could also be that she is not a true feral, but an abandoned/escaped pet who has already been spayed.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

She is definitely feral. When I first saw her in Dec (which in Ottawa, Canada, the temperature was way below zero), if she even got a glimpse of me in the window she would take off. I started putting food under a tree about 40 feet from house and she would eat it. It took many months but I now have her coming to me when I call her for food and can even pick her up. We have 3 cats (2 males and 1 female) and she is very afraid of them, especially the female. We would like to bring her into the house but our cats will not tolerate her. If I was to take her to be spayed, would the vet be able to tell if she has already been spayed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral View Post
She is definitely feral. When I first saw her in Dec (which in Ottawa, Canada, the temperature was way below zero), if she even got a glimpse of me in the window she would take off. I started putting food under a tree about 40 feet from house and she would eat it. It took many months but I now have her coming to me when I call her for food and can even pick her up. We have 3 cats (2 males and 1 female) and she is very afraid of them, especially the female. We would like to bring her into the house but our cats will not tolerate her. If I was to take her to be spayed, would the vet be able to tell if she has already been spayed?
The vet might be able to tell if the cat was spayed by shaving some of the fur on her tummy and searching for a scar, but it's not always possible to determine whether a cat is spayed based on the lack of a scar. This is why eartipping is important for any cat that is being TNRed.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

TNRed

I have never heard of TNRed. I googled it and I now know but could not find that the letters stand out for.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

OK, I just found out. It is Trapped-Neutered-Returned. We have 2 feral cats that we had spayed and neutered but they don't have their ears tipped.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Cat

Trap-Neuter-Release
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Premier Cat

Many cats which are abandoned by heartless people become skiddish in order to survive. They do come around if you work with them. I have a cat which I had to feed out from my sisters house in the hedge. He wouldnt let me near him for two years. Once we got him TNR he came around and eventually started come in the house to be with her other cats and fosters. Long story but he is now my indoor only cat. He is 12 years old and is the most loving, docile, affectionate cat in the house.

Your vet will be able to tell if this cat has been spayd or neutered. Take the cat in to be checked and vaccinated and have the ear tipped so there wont be any question in the future.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

This is for Mitts & Tess, how were you ever able to bring that cat into the house with other cats? I brought this feral cat into our house and the first time I separated her from the others but they could see each other through a glass door only. Then another time, she was loose in kitchen and my female sneaked in and attacked the her. So, now, she is very afraid and I have not brought her back in. I've left the big garage door open just enough for her to get in and I've got a box with blanket in it. She has been sleeping in there and I can go in and pick her up, put her on my lap and she just loves the petting.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Tom Cat

Sometimes you can feel a "knot" in her abdomen or see a scar. Perhaps you can take her to the vet as soon as you see signs that she is in heat?

Itīs very possible that she was spayed and then abandoned or got lost; I lost a cat for two months and when I found her she was semi-feral and had to coax her with bread that I had in my backpack

Bear in mind that a surgery doesnīt necessarily mean a spay. I remember the look my vet gave me when she shaved one of my cats who had had a bladder stone removed when she was 3 months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page