Female feral bats at me - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
zcb
Jr. Cat

Female feral bats at me

I've been feeding a female and male ferals for three years. The male talks to me and lets me pet him but the female has never shown any trust at all. She does sleep during the day on my porch which shows some trust but that's as far as it goes. When I put down her dinner she often bats at my hand with her claws out. I know she's been badly mistreated because she watches my feet all the time so I know she's been kicked. I don't know what to do about her striking out at me. I wouldn't care but her claws are out and I don't want to wind up with a scratch from her that might get infected. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Cat Addict

Hi Zcb, I'm in central FL too. I have a feral I've been feeding for over 3 years now. It took a very long time to gain her trust. She used to hiss at me at first when I would put her food down. It took months before she would sit near me after she ate her food. Now I can pet her, but she will not let me pick her up. And she bats at me, but she does it when we are trying to walk away from her, and she doesn't want us to go. Just understand that your feral may never completely gain the trust of humans enough for her to be touched by one. And that is normal. I know people who have had ferals for years that they feed and never touched them. I only gained the trust of mine when I completely let go of the idea of ever being able to pet her. I just acted like it was the furthest thing from my mind, and I sat near her while she ate, read a book or used my laptop, and eventually she started to rub up against the chair I was sitting in and then finally me. It took a long time. Just don't push it with yours, because she could give really hurt you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
zcb
Jr. Cat

Thanks howsefrau32 I never had any illusions of actually touching her but I will continue to keep working to gain her trust. I have sat by her during the day when she's lying on the porch and she has no problem with that. She's a pretty little girl and who knows what mistreatment she has experienced. I volunteer at a horse rescue and we have had horses that were horribly mistreated so I can only imagine why she is so wary of people. We have one sweet horse that has been with us for years and he's still very afraid of people. Thanks, I'll keep you posted if she shows any progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Cat Addict

I have a stray who swats at me when I'm putting food in her plate. I've been feeding her daily for 4 years and spending lots of time with her. Right now we're at the stage where she lets me sneak a hand down her back and tail. This is great progress. I don't think she was abused, a lot depends on genetics, some cats are naturally more relaxed / trusting than others.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

For a second, I thought this thread was about female feral bats....

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page