I need help deciding what to do with a possible stray - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I need help deciding what to do with a possible stray

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post... I wasn't sure where to put it

I don't know if he is or not. I've seen him quite a few times over the last couple of months. The first time I pet him, he had a collar mark in his fur, but its now gone. He's very friendly and playful, and he's not neutered.

I know a cat rescue that will take him if I need them to, but how do I know if he's owned? I don't want to take away someone's pet, but he's lost a bit of weight this summer and always eats if I feed him.

I got a few pics today... not good ones and he was rolling and playing around lol

Attachment 66154Attachment 66162

And saying hi to Munch lolAttachment 66170

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sara, Munch (deaf Domestic Shorthair),
Oliver (hearing Irish Terrier X),
Mouse (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Boo (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Kat (partially deaf, and vi Mini Dachshund)

Last edited by DeafDogs&Cat; 03-29-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 01:03 AM
Tom Cat

First you ask your neighbors, then ask at vet offices, see if there are any lost cat reports, put up posters...

I am not a cat lady,
I am The Cat Lady!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 01:07 AM
Cat Addict

Considering he is not neutered I'd take him in for a few days (allowing a cat roaming access if they're not neutered says a lot about their potential "owners" ), see if any missing posters go up. I'd also contact local shelters and let them know you've found a cat.

How often do you see him? If you see him a lot, maybe just stick a collar on him with a little note saying you've seen him around and would like to know if he has owners, with some kind of contact info.

I definitely would do something,winter isn't kind to outdoor cats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Cool Cat

He's a beautiful boy, and he looks like he's in pretty good shape, but that doesn't rule out the possibility that he's lost or abandoned. Do you always see him in the evening, or is he around at different times of day as well? Seeing a cat at various times throughout the day and night is an indication that the cat may not be spending any time indoors, and makes the lost/abandoned scenario seem more likely. However, I agree with Carmel: the fact that this cat is roaming around unfixed means that, owned or not, some action needs to be taken.

I'm of the opinion that if a cat's owners can't even be bothered to neuter him before letting him outside, I'm not going to hold off on getting it done out of courtesy to them. Any unfixed cat that ends up on my property gets fixed, owned or otherwise. I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to people who are irresponsible enough to let their cat roam unfixed. If you don't want your cat fixed, don't let it outside; simple as that.

People who choose to have indoor/outdoor cats accept a certain amount of risk. I take the stance that having your cat spayed or neutered by a caring neighbour is one of those risks and, hey, unlike most risks, this one actually has all sorts of benefits in the event that it occurs! People with outdoor cats have a social responsibility to spay/neuter; if you can't be bothered, then I can't be bothered consulting you about it.

Cats that are unfixed (males in particular) are prone to door dashing, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that this cat is lost, but if that's the case, I would expect that someone would be looking for him. Keep an eye out for posters, and ask around; try contacting local shelters, vets, and pet-related businesses, like pet stores and groomers, to see if anyone has reported a cat missing that matches his description. Meanwhile, take the cat to be scanned for a microchip--if the cat is unfixed, the odds of him being chipped probably aren't good, but it never hurts to check. If you can, without causing Munch and the bunch undue stress, keep him somewhere isolated, like a bathroom, for a few days while you look for an owner.

If the rescue is no kill and has space for him, and the cat is obviously tame, I would let them take care of the cat's neuter surgery, so that you don't have to incur the expense. I've paid out of pocket to have cats fixed and vaccinated on a couple of occasions, but, even at rescue rates, it's not a negligible expense when it's someone else's cat. Most of the cats that I have fixed go to a feral spay/neuter clinic, which I can access for free because of Toronto's TNR policy (I had to take a course and register with the clinic). If your municipality has a similar program, you may be able to get the surgery done through them, in the event that a rescue can't take him.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

TNR is not legal here. If a cat is taken to be neutered it is your responsibility. You can be charged if you release a cat here. Besides, this cat is a suck and should have a home of his own.

I've only seen him in the evenings and late at night, but then, I'm rarely home during the day. I've talked to several other people in the park and no one knows who he belongs to, but I will continue asking around. I have been in contact with a cat rescue and yes, they are no kill, so if I do decide to take him in, he'll go there.

I do not have a car, so cannot take him to get checked for a microchip. He's not very big, I think he's still a baby, honestly. Though I think he's mostly grown as he doesn't seem much bigger than the first time I saw him a couple of months ago.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Premier Cat

Sara, maybe you could ask your vet to put up a flyer there for you? And if there's a local paper, maybe you can put an ad in it. Around here, papers will post lost/found pet notices for free.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Tom Cat

I put a leather collar around my stray Felix with the words "Owner? Please call...my number" written on it in permanent marker.
Since you haven't noticed posters in the area and you are not really around to watch his comings and goings during the day, its a good way to tell where he goes and if he has a home he returns to once in a while.
If you haven't heard from someone in a few weeks, I think it's safe to assume he doesn't have a home or doesn't want to go back there for whatever reason.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Ya so far I've been feeding him every time I see him. Last night he gobbled down some canned food. He's such a sweetie. I'll watch him and ask around for the next few weeks. So far everyone I've asked has no idea who he might belong to.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Cat Addict

I was going to make a similar suggestion to Dumine - put a collar on him with a message attached and contact details.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumine View Post
I put a leather collar around my stray Felix with the words "Owner? Please call...my number" written on it in permanent marker.
What a great idea!! If he comes home and all of a sudden has a collar with a message on it, and they called you it would confirm if he is owned or not. Personally, in our city I would consider any free roaming cat as not owned because free roaming is illegal here.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page