How do you tell if stray or not? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

How do you tell if stray or not?

We've had a cat visiting us for the last few months, Very friendly little thing. But seems to be in or back or every other day.

OH and I have been considering taking it in, but I am afraid it could possibly be somebody's cat. How can I tell?

My neighbour has told me She sees it all the time. Everytime I see it, it looks like it is hunting for food.

What should I do?

Last edited by Pawsx3; 08-05-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Premier Cat

First take it to the vet to scan for a microchip, if she has one and it's registered... question answered. While she's there she can be screened for feline diseases and spayed to prepare her for integrating with your resident cats. WHile she's recovering you can put up TONS of fliers around the neighborhood to give the family who lost her an opportunity to find her again.

After a few weeks of fliers with no response then there you have it. A new cat.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Tom Cat

When Felix first arrived at my place of work, we also thought he was just passing trough. But he came more and more frequently and then he never left on his own but had to be put outside at closing time.
I also started to wonder if he has an owner somewhere, cause he wasn't acting feral. We never noticed any missing flyers posted and none of the websites that list missing pets had a cat that looked like Felix.

I took him to the vet to get him scanned - no chip, but otherwise very healthy and already sterilized!
So I'm thinking is there a way I can find out if he has a home and make contact with the owner? I took an old leather collar from home and wrote "Owner? Please call....my number" on the collar in permanent marker.

Felix wore that collar for about a month and a half and the only people who phoned me were the neighbours on the opposite side of our office building. Two different neighbours called, always on a weekend when there was no one at the office and Felix was obviously looking for company.

That's when I knew he didn't have a home or didn't want to go back there, so I took him home and the rest is history.

Last edited by Dumine; 08-05-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Tom Cat

You say friendly, do you pet her, will she let you pick her up?
How is her weight? Does it look like she gets fed on a regular basis?
I wish every cat had somebody like you looking out for them. I hope it turns out you get to keep her. You would be a better caretaker for her!

I am not a cat lady,
I am The Cat Lady!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 AM
Premier Cat

Check Craigslist and look for lost cat postings. Even after you take him in, look for these. If it is a pet someone will consider it lost and post SOMETHING either online or posters looking for it. Be sure and ask for proof (picture or vaccination records).

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I've checked all the local listings for a missing cat, even the facebook ones.

We brought it in today because it started to rain and felt sorry for him/her. Gave it some food and checked it for fleas (no fleas that I could see, so maybe it is somebody's?). He was not interested what so ever in my boys just hissed, My two stayed away but were very keen to see who the new guest was.

I know that was probably a really irresponsible thing to do. Haven't stopped thinking about it since we brought it in. It will be lifted no problem, it is VERY dirty though its coat feels kind of greasy? but seemed quite nervous to be inside and wanted back out immediately. so we let him/her back out.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I got in contact with a rescue who has a wildcat project to see if they could help or know what to do. Hopefully hear something back tomorrow morning. Says they help with neutering and even placing a warm outdoor shelter for semi-feral/feral cats! So even if it cannot be outdoor it would still have a warm place to sleep away from the cold.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Premier Cat

Any news on the little guy?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:33 PM
Cat Addict

The cat doesn't sound feral and should be brought inside if you suspect it is homeless... missing posters would go up shortly if it's owned by anyone that cares. A friendly outdoor cat doesn't normally stay too friendly if it's left on its own for a long period of time, it has to learn to fend for itself and starts acting more like a feral cat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

We unfortunately have not see the cat since we brought him in that day.

I was speaking to OH's grandparents and found out that there are several strays being fed down the road from us. I am guessing he is one of them. She was saying a while back two of the females got pregnant at the same time and had litters. She got the two females spayed but couldn't afford to get the rest done and contacted a shelter about it but they were not willing to help.

So it seems there is quite a large population of cats around my area, I hate to think it is owners moving and leaving their pets behind. How could you be so cruel?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page