Flea prevention for feral cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Flea prevention for feral cats?

I am a caretaker for 7 feral cats. I am able to use Advantage II for 5 of them but the other 2 adults would hiss and won't let me come near. I have heard about an oral once a month Flea medication Comfortis but this requires a prescription from the vet. I have asked if the Humane Society can authorize this, they said they don't fulfill prescription. So, if you are taking care of feral cats in your backyard, do you use flea prevention on the ferals, if so, what do you use for the ones you can't get near to apply on their backs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Cat

I give mine a capstar, which will kill adult fleas, but that's it. I won't use those topical treatments, can't get near this kitty anyhow, but I had used it ONCE on a rescue that I took in, and within minutes she was foaming at the mouth and having a bad reaction. It was horrible. I vowed to never put that on another cat, it was the first time and the last. But anyhow, the capstar will kill the adults, most within a half hour. I then treat the bedding area, and I repeat the capstar every for days or so, for three times, which seems to work really well. I got the spray for the bedding from the vet, it has no odor, is safe for the kitty, and works wonderfully. I do change out his bedding, but I do have a heated pad in there for him, and insulation on the insides of his house where fleas could be hiding, so that's why I do the spray. I do it in the morning after he has gone for a walk, and then air it out good and it's all set when he gets back. I never see him scratching anymore. I first started the capstar when I noticed he was yanking out fur on his belly and scratching quite a bit. He won't let me touch him, so I can only get within a foot or so and he lets me look, but don't touch...he's so cute. But thankfully his belly is white, I could see flea dirt and knew that's what it was, so tried the capstar and it worked like a charm. I do this every couple of months to keep things in check. Hope that helps!

Mom to Charli, Maggie, Baby Kitty and Tessa!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Do i need a prescription to buy capstar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Cat

No they have it at petco, but it's locked up you have to ask. Be sure to get the one for small dogs and cats. It's a bit expensive, like $35 for a packet of six pills. The vets office usually has it too, but you'll have to ask. They usually have the bigger ones and you have to cut them into quarters, one quarter equals one of the smaller doses for cats. But at the vet you can probably get individual pills instead of buying the whole thing if you don't want to spend the money. They also sell them on amazon.

Mom to Charli, Maggie, Baby Kitty and Tessa!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat

great!, thanks for letting me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page