Going mad over this.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Going mad over this....

For once, I'm not obsessing on the fireworks but worrying about something else. I help with a project for the homeless, newly rehomed and those about to become homeless. There is a guy who is likely to be evicted and become homeless tomorrow and he waited until today to let me know that he has four cats that will also be thrown out.

The best suggested by the housing association have to suggest is that the RSPCA will come to collect them! May be my prejudice but I don't trust the local RSPCA at all. If he had given me ore notice, this would be so much easier. He brought it on himself - his poor cats didn't.

He wants them back when he finds somewhere and doesn't want them split up in the meantime - doesn't make it easier.

I have spent tonight trying to get him pinned down. I now know that there are three males and one female but at this point I don't know if the males have been neutered!!! Even as an emergency measure, I can't bring three un-neutered males into the house with our large crew of rescues.

Why didn't he give me a chance to sort something?

I don't really expect anyone to be able to offer practical help but I had to vent somewhere!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Banned

This is a tough situation for sure. I know the guy is likely under a lot of duress, but if he truly cared about his cats' welfare wouldn't he likely have mentioned it prior to this? It seems to me that if the RSPCA comes to collect them he won't have a choice to get any of them back, never mind being able to specify they don't get split up in the meantime. If you were able to do anything for these cats, I don't think you have to guarantee him he will get all of them back and that they won't be split up - he can't even begin to be in a position to care for 4 cats properly. I think your first step is to find out if the males are neutered, then take it from there.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Cool Cat

Ugh, how aggravating! I would be really resentful of being put in that situation too. Some people make it so hard for others to help them, and it's not always entirely their own fault--if some of these people didn't struggle so much, for whatever reason, with these sorts of basic and integral skill sets, like time management, planning, organization, etc. they might have an easier time of looking after themselves and might not be in such dire straits in the first place. It's sad, and you feel for them, but it doesn't make them any easier to deal with. And, of course, as you said, the cats are blameless in this situation and have no means by which to help themselves. It's hard not to feel a bit like your compassion is being used as a tool of manipulation because, of course, you'll stay up all night making phone calls and sending emails, calling in favours, and just generally stressing out and running yourself ragged to save the lives of someone else's cats! Been there, done that--I'd do it again in a second if necessary, but wow, does it ever make me angry and upset! Situations like this are part of the reason compassion burnout is so prevalent a problem for people who rescue.

I'm with you 100% about not trusting the RSPCA--if even just because any large organization or municipal shelter like that is so bureaucratic that cats do end up falling through the cracks. I've not personally had this happen, mind you, but I do know of other rescuers who have had their cats mistakenly euthanized by such facilities. I also agree with Heather that under normal circumstances, were you not involved, that this man would not be getting his cats back, and he would not be in a position to dictate what happened to them or that they be kept together. I don't know the specifics of his situation, so I can't pass judgement over whether or not this man will be likely to be able to provide for his 4 cats in the future, nor do I think that it's possible to rule on whether or not he truly loves his pets, considering the sorts of personal and social issues that come into play when discussing topics like homelessness, unemployment, and poverty and their causes. I would posit that living in an apartment would be a much better situation than living in a cage at the RSPCA waiting to be either adopted, which might make the cage time worth it in the long run, or euthanized. For the cats' sakes though, it would certainly be nice for them to be kept together if they're emotionally attached to one another. It's so hard to find placements for 4 cats, though! *pulls out hair* This situation has me stressing out just discussing it, lol!

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dt8thd; 11-05-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Heard since posting - the three males AREN'T neutered. I'd take them temporarily but I can't bring them into a houseful of cats (one with FIV) when three out of four haven't been "done".

With the best will in the world, i'd try to keep the apart but you can't make guarantees,
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Banned

Oh boy - if he's got three unneutered males, then unless the female is spayed likely she is pregnant. Oy, just gets better doesn't it? I'm not envying you.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

She is spayed - thankfully. The only good point really!!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Premier Cat

Oh my goodness. What an awful situation all around. To give the man the benefit of the doubt (sort of)...perhaps it wasn't so much a question of not being able to arrange for something for his cats or of not caring as much as it was an inability to confront the sad reality that his cats were going to be homeless as well.

None of that changes the situation, of course. I suppose he's already asked people he knows if they could take his cats temporarily, but maybe if he told them that it would be just for a few days, and that someone is helping him with placement, he could find one person willing to do that. That would at least buy you a little time.

I don't know why the man is being evicted, but do you get the sense that the males are intact because it was a financial issue?

The local SPCA here claims they're no-kill, but if animals aren't adopted after a certain amount of time, they're sent to the pound, where are they euthanized. So I don't blame you for not trusting the RSPCA. However, if that's the only option, do you know how long they keep animals before euthanizing them? I've seen anywhere from 3-10 days. But is their policy that if you surrender an animal, you can't take that animal back? I know some shelters have that as a policy.

Fingers crossed that somehow you (or someone) can place these poor kitties!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

He was evicted this morning - the cats are "on the street". I've arranged for them to be fed tonight and a hoping for help with them tomorrow. It's a nasty night out and I'm not happy and I so wish he had told me earlier.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Premier Cat

The cats were just turned outside?

I'd be living in my car with all 3 of them before I'd let that happen...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Premier Cat

Are U.K. eviction laws more stringent than ours? Over here, you get a month's notice but you can fight eviction for SEVERAL months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page