New feral kittens and some fleas - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat

New feral kittens and some fleas

So this past week we trapped two feral kittens, one on tue and her sister on Wednesday. Today was their first vet visit. They are healthy, only 8-9 weeks and only 1.8 lbs. they each have a few fleas, not horrible but they have them. They do have worms, but this past weekend I had brought fecal sample in and received the meds so treated them sat, sun and mon, and will repeat in three weeks. For the fleas Vet and staff recommended frontline plus, which I have always been hinky about using any of those types of meds but I bought it there and have it home. Anyone have experience using this on kittens? Would like some opinions and input. They said it's ok to apply now, or wait a week after they spend another week eating good...thoughts? We named them Maggie Mae and Rosie. Maggie is the darker closest one. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1419387467.324080.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	78145

Mom to Charli, Maggie, Baby Kitty and Tessa!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Tom Cat

I would be hesitant to use those products on such young animals. I know Dawn dish soap can be used for puppies and dogs to rid of fleas. I had a pup here that had fleas. I gave daily baths with Dawn and the fleas were gone. Maybe someone with more experience will now if it can be used for kittens too.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 12:57 AM
Premier Cat

Ooh they're so cuuuuute!!!!

I think there is a Frontline that can be used with young and/or underweight kittens - maybe that's the Frontline Plus that you have. I'm pretty sure my vet gave Frontline to the stray that I had a couple of months ago rather than the Revolution that my other kitties got, but I don't have the records anymore (gave them to her new mommy).

But 1.8 lbs. does seem awfully tiny to be putting a flea treatment on them.
- maybe that's the Frontline Plus that you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 01:00 AM
Cat

I usex it on Merlin when he was 8 weeks old. I made sure it was the kitten version.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Cat Addict

OMG.....soooooo flippin CUTE!!!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Premier Cat

Sabrina,
Those are some precious little kitties! They're Adorable!!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks everyone, I have to go with my gut and not put it on them. I would love to bathe them in dawn, but they are still not calm enough for that yet, I guess I just need to be patient and let them gain some weight and give them a capstar. Meanwhile I'm going to do what I can with a flea comb. Rosie has been playing for a couple days, Maggie just played for the first time today, big milestone for her, she's so scared of everything. Also, Maggie purred!!! Rosie has not purred yet, hope that comes soon, poor babies. I can't wait til I can introduce them to Charli!

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 07:53 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina767 View Post
I would love to bathe them in dawn, but they are still not calm enough for that yet
I had a tiny little kitten who was SO spunky and would squirm and squiggle in my hands like crazy, I thought for sure he wouldn't let me give him a bath (he was covered head to toe with his food), surprisingly he did. Either way, better to get the fleas under control. You've got some real cuties there.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Hi Cheddar...it's more than squirmy, they were born feral and it's only been a bit over a week I've had them and they are still fearful. Mostly everything scares them, just need to be a little more accustomed to house noises, movement, etc before I get them in a bath. We can pick them up and snuggle them, and they just started eating in front of us. They both played for the first time today, chasing after a toy similar to da bird. Maggie purrs, but not Rosie yet. I'm hoping another few days and maybe I can try a bath without them going into a panic. If you stand and they are on the floor, they hide...if they see a shadow, they bolt for cover...poor babies.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 02:21 AM
Senior Cat

I use Diatomaceus Earth (food grade) for the fleas incl for the cat that used to be feral. Just put a little bit in your palm and rub it on their fur and skin once a day for two three days. I use a teaspoon for adult cats. If the fleas infestation is not so bad you won't need much at all. I prob only use this method 3 days in a row when they had fleas last time.

Last edited by NOLAKitties; 12-27-2014 at 02:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page