i have a question about heated pads - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Question i have a question about heated pads

I have 3 outside cats. 2 males & 1 female. the one male & the female have been fixed. So no kittens from her. We still have to get the other male fixed. Not sure when though.

Anyways....On my front porch I have this dog igloo off to the side. In the winter time..i fill it with straw and theres a padded mat on the floor for them to be on. Then infront of the igloo...I have a self heating thermal blanket there ..I put there food bowls on that. Theres also a cat bed there as well. Theres a heated water bowl is off to the side.

My mom was thinking of getting one of those heated pads that you put inside the igloo it gets plugged in..... what are your thoughts on those?

The past few nights...I saw the female cat sleeping in the igloo looking all cozy in the straw. The male cat was in the bed sleeping.

If we got the pad...then I would have to take out the straw ...im kinda worried that who ever sleeps in there wont be cozy without the straw.

what do you think?

Last edited by marie73; 01-01-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Cat Addict

I've never used a heated pad but have found straw good under similar circumstances but I've always got lots of it because of the horses.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Cat

I too have used straws in the storage bins and fleece in the shelter house. Im scared of using the heating pad in case something goes wrong and cause a fire. I also bought a box of the warm packs that you activate from shaking and it lasts for 8 hours that I found at sports authority for $14.99 for 20 pieces that I will put under the fleece blankets when we have freezing temperature. Since I live in California we dont have much freezing temperature. You could put the heating blanket in a tote bin at least that will give them shelter from the cold wind and rain. You can see pics on my insulated tote bins in the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Premier Cat

I use the heating pads in my foster room and there needs to be enough room for them to be able to move away from it. In other words, the heating pad should not cover more than 1/3 - 1/2 of the floor space. These pet pads barely put out much heat, but I would not use them unless the porch is covered. With a nice thick padding of straw you probably don't need it.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 01:54 AM
Premier Cat

If you decide to get one to use in half of the igloo, make sure you get one that's rated for outdoor use and that you use it with the cover (or with something else under and on top of it). I used one on a covered deck for 3 years, plugged into an indoor outlet (long extension cord) and now have it in my covered porch, plugged into an outdoor outlet. I have it under Mr. Casper's cup bed. He loves it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanna79 View Post
. Since I live in California we dont have much freezing temperature. You could put the heating blanket in a tote bin at least that will give them shelter from the cold wind and rain. You can see pics on my insulated tote bins in the forum.

Thanks Deanna, The igloo is on my porch. Its out of the rain and the wind. I have the opening turned in facing my house so its out of the wind. So I don't need a tote bin.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

thanks guys for your replies..... im going to stick with the straw.

now the cats aren't sleeping in the igloo... so I would rather waste money on straw then on some fancy heating pad...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Cat

I have a heated pad in my feral's house, he loves it. I bought the large padded one, and he has room in there to move off of it, if he desires....but every time I peek in when he is in there, he's snuggled in on his warm pad.

Mom to Charli, Maggie, Baby Kitty and Tessa!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I have attached a picture of the set up that I have for the 3 outside cats.

looks good...right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10882088_10152607499141172_4588205237867363034_n.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	78890  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page