Feeding Ferals in cold weather - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Feeding Ferals in cold weather

There seems to be an entire new crop of ferals in the neighborhood, all of the previous ones have vanished. None of these are particularly friendly but do pass through the yard to enjoy a drink from the fish pond. I had been leaving some dry food out just to see who passes through but based on some of the info in other sections, that may not be the best. What, if anything can be left for the ferals when the temp is in single digits? None of these stay in the yard, they clearly have a safe spot somewhere else. My yard just seems to be on the rounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Premier Cat

I don't think there's much you can do other than to leave dry food, unless you know when they're coming by and know they'll eat wet food immediately. It'll freeze pretty quickly. I left wet and dry food out for my stray. He started eating immediately. When I went back out about 45 minutes later, the food was frozen, and the dishes were still ice cold, even over an hour later.

They make pet bowls that water won't freeze in, but they're electric. I haven't ever used mine, since I can check on him frequently. Come to think of it, I'd need an adapter thing. since his heated pad and a night light are already plugged into the outlet (he stays in my screened porch).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 09:17 PM
Premier Cat

Dry food, as long as it's not getting wet/damp, is normally fine...
Do you have a place that's covered from the elements?
That's where any food bowls should go...
Dry food is calories! And they need all the calories they can get, to regulate their body temperatures, when it gets so brutally cold.
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Cat

The wind dumped the bowel last night but it will have to be dry food for a while. Yes there is a sheltered place up against the house that is protected and dry. From the footprints in the snow there are two different cats, one with very large paws probably belonging to the orange tomcat I have seen, and a smaller set belonging to a youngster I rarely see. The camera goes back out tonight to see who comes by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page