protecting territory? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

protecting territory?

Mr. Casper is a stray, not a feral, but he has been an outdoor-only cat for about 6 years (at the least), so his behavior often seems more like that of a feral than of a house cat. I brought him with me when I moved, less than 1000 feet from the old place. It took him less than a week to figure out how to get back to his old territory.

He has a house with a heated bed in my screened porch, but he's gone by the time I get up (9 am at the earliest) and then he doesn't come back until dinnertime. It can be pouring rain in the morning, and he's gone. The day after we got 19" of snow last year, he wanted out. Stayed out all day. Very early Monday morning, it started to snow but when I got up at 9, he was gone.

At the old place, there were several indoor/outdoor cats in the neighborhood, so I understand protecting territory. But I was there for 4 years, and I know those cats aren't out in the winter, and there is no feral or stray problem.

Is it normal to protect territory in this way? I swear sometimes I think he's got a lady cat friend somewhere (he's fixed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Premier Cat

LOL! A 1000 ft is nothing to a cat! They can 'patrol' an area up to two square miles!
Wouldn't it be something to have one of those little collar cameras, so you could see what his typical day is like?!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

But I mean really. In this weather? What does he think he's protecting his territory against? There's nothing out there.

Except maybe a skunk. I saw it in my backyard the other night. I was making as much noise as I could at 3 am. to try to convince it to move on, but that thing was not afraid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:42 AM
Premier Cat

When you can let stink fly like that....not much scares you!

Mr. Casper is probably marking the territory as his to warn other cats, particularly males, to stay away....it is HIS human that he has trained to feed him and talk to him and let him in when it is cold and light heartedly complain about marking and lack of litterbox manners....

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:57 AM
Premier Cat

Well I know cats love routine...so I don't know how you can get him to break his habit. I'd love to see him on a collar cam, too...it must be such fun to see where he goes and how he sees the world.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

LOL! But my point is that there are no other cats for him to warn, and there haven't been since probably early November. Gotta see if he's back. I don't know what he's doing out there - certainly hope he didn't go over to the old territory.

How long would it take a cat to cover 1000 feet?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 02:05 AM
Premier Cat

1000 feet...hmmmm, I'm sure he's got shortcuts!:p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page