A cat and a storm - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

A cat and a storm

We had an unusually bad storm for a few days and I knew I'd lose some stray to it. I trapped one and kept her in my home, but my heart went out for the others.

One of them indeed disappeared. A big, fat, grey cat that lived under the bushes at the corner. She was sick and not young. Gums infection. I called and called after the storm, but never saw her again. I miss her terribly.

Today a neighbor I'd never seen introduced herself to me as I fed the strays, and we chatted for a while. Turns out she was the mysterious feeder who sometimes leaves food for my strays and changes their water. Among other things she commented on in passing, she told me she'd adopted a cat before the storm. A big, fat, grey cat that lived under the bushes at the corner. She was sick and not young. Gums infection.

I cried from happiness.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Premier Cat

What a great ending for that cat! So glad she is safe and taken care of. I am also glad you know what happened to her. Not knowing is the worst.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 04:37 PM
Cat Addict

Oh, that made me tear up with happy tears!!!! See!! This is what I always have to tell myself. When a stray/feral you have been caring for, or even an indoor/outdoor kitty disappears, there is a very good chance that some other cat loving person, like we are, has taken that kitty in. That really does happen!! This just reinforced my belief that it does. I'm so happy for you!!! And for big, fat gray, gum infected kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

She cost the neighbor quite a bit of money, but now her gums are ok. She's not at all sure she wants to stay indoors, though. She's taking her time to decide. But her weakness is belly rubs, and the neighbor has plenty of those for her, so for now she's staying put...

During a terrible storm a few years ago we lost a kitten whom his stray mother was still nursing. It was last seen by the posh building behind ours. We were very sad when we realized after the storm.

1.5 years later, a very distressed woman came up to us in the street as I was feeding and asked if we could help look for her beloved princess that had bolted out the door during a moment of distraction. She told us in tears how she had adopted her princess 1.5 years before, during a terrible storm. The tiny kitten had left her mother cat and litter mates behind, gone up to the entrance to the posh building and cried and cried till some human would break down and adopt her. The photo of the now grown cat looked the same as her stray litter mates.

(by the way, I told her to look inside the building and not outside, and she indeed found the princess there)

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

One more: my friend was worried sick about a tiny, black kitten living by a busy road. We tried to move him, but he'd go back. While my friend was desperately trying to find a solution (hardly any adoptions here and no shelters), the kitten obviously disappeared. She talked to neighbors trying to find out how it had died.

'Died? Well no, he's fine and happy in my home' said a neighbor 'I'm the one that will be killed, by my husband, for adopting yet one more kitten. But I just couldn't leave him by that busy road.'

And the last one...

'Excuse me, I see you feed the strays around here...maybe you know what became of a poor tuxedo that used to sit on that tree?'
'Oh her, yup, she's up there in Heaven..." I pointed upwards, with a sad grimace.
'I imagined as much. Poor thing. She wanted so much for someone to adopt her...' the neighbor teared up 'I knew she wouldn't last long...'
'Aha. She wasn't made for the streets, couldn't survive them. Which is why she's right now waiting for me to go back upstairs' I pointed upwards again 'and serve her chicken breast dinner in bed because getting out from under the goose down duvet on my bed would be too much of an inconvenience. Her life is Heaven. On Earth. And my wallet is thinner.'

Last edited by Straysmommy; 02-26-2015 at 05:41 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

housefrau, I couldn't agree more. At least in my neighborhood, the chances of them disappearing due to adoption are at least 50%, so I work hard at not torturing myself. In the case of the fat, sick cat, I didn't dare hope, though, as only an angel would've adopted an old, sick cat. Indeed, she found an angel.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Premier Cat

Straysmommy,
I so enjoy reading any of your posts! I Love these stories, and it gives me hope, that there are still some wonderful people out there!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Cat Addict

I loved the stories too.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 PM
Cat Addict

I do too. Love, love, love hearing stories with happy endings like these.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 08:34 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straysmommy View Post
housefrau, I couldn't agree more. At least in my neighborhood, the chances of them disappearing due to adoption are at least 50%, so I work hard at not torturing myself. In the case of the fat, sick cat, I didn't dare hope, though, as only an angel would've adopted an old, sick cat. Indeed, she found an angel.
Yes, but we are lucky that there are some people like us, who I guess we are the angels, lol, who absolutely would take in an old, sick cat with lots of problems. As long as there are crazy cat ladies out there, there will always be places for kitties like that to go. Sadly though, I think there are not enough of us in the world. But we do exist!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page