Need help trapping feral cat please - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Need help trapping feral cat please

Hi,
Have not been here for a while. I have 8 indoor cats (5 former ferals, 2 who were born to feral mums in my home and one abandonded stray) and a few ferals who eat on the front porches and spend some time in the houses on said porches. There are also the regulars who stop by but don't stick around much.
One of my ferals, who has been coming since Sept 2013, stopped coming around the middle of April and I looked everywhere but no sign. Alady around the corner whose missing cat I've been keeping an eye out for, got in touch with me to warn me that her neighbour has been bragging and laughing about trapping this big orange cat, taking him out to a farm, letting out and killing him.She wanted to tell me other things but I couldn't listen. I realized this was my Baxter. The police and Humane Society have been notified and the police have been to see him but of course he denied everything. The Humane Society were supposed to visit him yesterday. I contacted a group who are actively TNR'ing in this town and the girl said to get my ferals into an enclosure or take them in. At this time, I only have a couple staying here and under my neighbour's porch. One needed spaying so I trapped both of them on Tuesday night and took Ariel into be spayed yesterday bringing her home last night and releasing her into the cat room upstairs. Sookie, the other little girl, has been loose in the room since she was trapped.
She is just lying on the bed, not hiding from me and has not eaten at all. She barely moves. She acknowledges me when I enter the room and makes no move to hide. It's like she has given up. I'm afraid I've done the wrong thing and she's going to starve herself. I don't know what to do.

Last edited by marie73; 06-28-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

These 2 girls are very feral though come when I call them and sit with me on the porch. I am considering putting them both back out after dark tonight when the traffic has died down. I don't know whether I'm causing more harm to them by trying to keep them safe.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Premier Cat

Mikayla,
I'm so sorry about Baxter...:'(
Some people are 'Sicko'...
For the two girls who have just been spayed, the longer you can keep them safe, to heal, the better...
If either one was in heat, or coming into, or just leaving it, they are STILL going to be putting out a lot of scent, and if a male finds them...and trys to breed them, you're running a serious risk with them for internal injuries and infections...
I hope others will have some good ideas for you...
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 10cats2dogs; 05-06-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks Sharon. Just one of them, Ariel (my granddaughter named her) got spayed.The other kitty, Sookie, was spayed last June. I don't know if you remember but you helped me last year when we had two sets of feral kittens born in our shelters on our front porches. Sookie was one of the mums and Ariel was one of the kittens of the other mum. The two of them lived together in one of the heated houses all winter.
I would like to keep them in as long as I can. I'm just worried that Sookie won't eat or move at all. I'm so afraid that she's just given up and will become ill. She barely lifts her head when I go in the room.I know Ariel has eaten a few of the treats I put out in the room as Sookie doesn't like them but no food has been eaten at all.
I am heartbroken about my Baxter and haven't been sleeping or eating much for the last week so sorry if I'm not making much sense.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 06:15 AM
Cat Addict

Even reading your post about Baxter made me tear up. Poor boy. Keeping your other two safe is important as I would be so stressed worrying about them. I don't have masses of feral experience but I would try something really smelly like tuna to tempt her and let her settle a bit. I hope some with loads of feral experience help you.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you Jenny.
The girls seem to be much better now. Sookie is growling and hissing which is a good sign she hasn't given up. They are both eating and neither is hiding at all. I have been sitting in the room and playing under the screen door with Bennington, one of my house cats who likes other cats. He has been purring away and Ariel is getting curiouser and curiouser and getting a bit closer.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Premier Cat

Mikayla, that is so sad that this guy may have done something to Baxter. Let's hope he was lying and trying to make himself appear to be a tough guy. Ferals are pretty smart, so maybe Baxter got away, or maybe the guy was lying about even trapping him.

The only positive is that the police took this seriously. If that guy has any ideas about harming other animals, maybe he'll think twice.

I'm really relieved to hear that Sookie is eating. Since she's feral, the fact that she wasn't trying to hide when you came near her seemed like there might be something wrong physically. But you may want to keep an eye on her for a few more days if you can keep them inside.

You're doing a wonderful thing by taking care of these girls. They may surprise you and become happy house cats!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 12:16 AM
Tom Cat

Please do your best to trap and get him fixed. I was always afraid my boys would never forgive me. It turned out to make them calmer and easier to make friends with.

I am not a cat lady,
I am The Cat Lady!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Sorry Spirite, I never received a notification of your post. I ended up returning both of the cats to the porch. Ariel took off with a male and has not returned. I believe she has joined another colony. When we lost our 2 males, Webster to the road and then Baxter, The girls scattered. Sookie is still here a great deal of the time.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 05:05 PM
Premier Cat

Oh Wow Mikayla...
So much heartbreak...
I'm so glad the girls were spayed, and at least Sookie is still around...
Strays, Ferals, or Friendly, it doesn't matter...they wrap their little paws around our hearts...and we're never the same..
(((HUGS)))
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page