entire colony not lost in the blizzard - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2016, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat

entire colony not lost in the blizzard

We got about 30 inches of snow in the northeast over the weekend. I am afraid that the colony I've been taking care of is buried under the snow somewhere.
Another caretaker and I have cleared a path to their feeding stations and removed snow around their shelters. It's been 4 days since they have been seen (before the snow started)
I have occasionally seen them go into the storm drain which is now blocked by a ton of packed snow. If they are in there I'am afraid they are already gone or will soon be.

I have not seen any paw prints in the snow anywhere near their shelters or feeding stations.

Last edited by marie73; 02-01-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 10:25 PM
Cool Cat

Oh my goodness, that is a terrible situation. I'm so sorry to hear this. Is there anyway the storm drain could be cleared, or atleast cleared enough for an opening for them to climb out? If I was an animal, I bet that would be the place I'd go, too. I hope they're okay and you find them soon. The one positive is that if some snow melts they will hopefully have access to water, wherever they are, to tide them over.

Last edited by Mandy and Ellie; 01-26-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:59 PM
Cat

I have no advice to give but am offering my prayers. Poor kitties lost in the snow. Hopefully their natural instincts have kicked in and they are staying safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I tried finding the opening of the storm drain but it is somewhere under about 10 feet of snow. Its packed about 5-6 feet around the opening. I tried uncovering it but didn't get very far. I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore. I'll keep chipping away at it and hopefully some of it will melt.
I just have a feeling that they are in there. They live behind a busy shopping plaza that backs up to a busy highway. Really aren't too many places they can go to seek shelter. I have 4 large shelter totes for them but I haven't seen any evidence that they were used during the storm.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:52 AM
Premier Cat

Oh no meggie! This must be so stressful for you. Is there a rescue group that could help you? I wonder if even posting something on craigslist or putting up a flyer at the vet or pet stores saying that you need urgent help to try to save this feral colony would get you some volunteers?

Fingers crossed that they are ok and that you are able to recruit some people to help you!
Old 01-27-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Cat

This is the colony I discover last summer. Most of them were between 4-6 months old from 2 different females I think. I call every rescue I could find in my area. The groups who responded could offer me low cost clinics or trap rental but said it was up to me to to do and pay for the TNR project. I trapped 15 and took them to clinic, kept them a few days post op, then released them. Not all were feral but I unfortunately, there was only one rescue who would be willing to take 3 of them (a very tame mother and her 6 week old kittens).

Humane League and SPCA were willing to take them for a fee however, SPCA is a high kill and Humane League is questionable.

The rescues in my area are all volunteer and tight on funds and manpower and overwhelmed with cats.

The other problem is that they are in a shopping center parking lot and management does not want them there.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I have contacted a feral cat resource group. Hopefully they will get back to me with some advice.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Cat Addict

Oh Meggie, I am so sorry to hear this. When the storm was coming all I could think about was how the freaks and stray animals would get through this. I hope you find at least some have survived.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:21 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny bf View Post
Oh Meggie, I am so sorry to hear this. When the storm was coming all I could think about was how the freaks and stray animals would get through this. I hope you find at least some have survived.
Sorry spelling error freaks wa supposed to be ferals darn predictive text)
Old 01-27-2016, 08:22 PM
Premier Cat

OMG Meggie!
I'm so sorry....can you poke holes with a pole around where the storm drain is located? Even small air holes would allow for the exchange of bad air with good air...
I can well imagine, how this must be tearing you up...
Sending Prayers for all,
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in