Feral / stray we named Sasha, what next? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Feral / stray we named Sasha, what next?

Hello,
My wife and I are in process of rescuing a feral cat. She appears to be young and maybe has been around humans before.
She started hanging around a couple months ago and would sit on top of the cement block wall that seperates our house from the neighbors. She would sit there and just stare into our kitchen. We thought she was the neighbors, who are from Russia(?) and are nice people so we started calling her Sasha.
If we went out the back door she would run away. We started feeding her and slowly over 6 weeks befriended her, she now lets us hold her and pet her, she demands to be petted and scratched.
She spends all day in our back yard, mostly sleeping on our patio furniture.
She will NOT come in the house! If you pick her up and try to pack her in the house she starts squirming half way in the door so we turn back and don't force her. She is a friendly cat and never bites or scratches.
I bought a pet carrier and lined it with old towels and started feeding her in it, she goes right in and eats but comes right back out when she is done, she never goes in it except to eat.
Now she spends her nights on the neighbors side of the cement block wall and sleeps in a pile of tires. We would love for her to sleep in the pet carrier and or our house.
I see articles here about building shelters for ferals / strays. Great, nice idea, but how do you get the cat to sleep in it?
We plan on taking her to the vet soon and have her spayed, we know she isn't , and get her the shots, dewormed, etc, whatever the vet reccomends.
What is our next step? We can't figure out how to get her in the house or pet carrier.
We are hesitant to trap her in the carrier then take her to the vet, I guess we are afraid when we get her back and let her go she will run and not come back.
Thanks!
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 09:43 PM
Cat

Sasha is a cute name for such a pretty lady! I say give her a few weeks and see if she sticks around. You'll have to start feeding her closer to the house to get her accustomed.
Also, I don't think the trap will prevent her from coming back, if she knows there's food, she will be back.

Do you guys have a patio, lanai, or any enclosed area that she can wander to?
You will probably have better luck getting her to come inside during the day since they like to roam at night.
If you live in a colder state, make sure to leave out a lined box with blankets so she can retain heat.

My cat Maddie was a stray, I fed her since she was about 4 months and eventually she warmed up the idea of coming inside, but not for long periods of time.

Even now that she's 2, she rarely stays the night inside, she will sleep in our lanai we built a cat door and she comes and goes.
Good luck you both- Sasha is adorable.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Cat Addict

The fact you can touch her that much is a VERY positive sign. It took months and months to get our old darling Princess Tramp to venture inside - despite her already rescued brother encouraging her. Once she ventured in, she turned into a total darling and the utter matriarch of our current pride (long outliving her brother and her best friend).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Cat

You could try using a humane trap. Just google TNR and you'll find links for where to buy/rent/borrow traps and how to use them.

You'll have to feed her in the trap for at least a week to get her used to going in and out of it. Once she's comfortable you can set it. After that you can get her into the house or garage or transfer her to a carrier.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 04:59 PM
Cat Addict

Just to add that getting her spayed is a really good idea.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

It's supposed to get cold tonight, 35f. My man concern was getting her to
sleep , hang out in something warm since she won't come in the house.
We have been using her pet carrier to feed her in, trying to get her to stay in it instead of the neighbors tires. She had no problem going in to eat but would leave when done. It was chillier today than normal, I took a heating pad and put it in her carrier with a towel over it, there was already a pad in the bottom with a towel over that. I fed her in it and she stayed in it!! She must really like that heat. She was in it most of the day and we are hoping she spends the night in there. I kept checking the heating pad at first making sure the temp was OK and that it didn't shut itself off after 2 hours or something.
It just got dark and she is still in her little heated house She would normally be off to her tire pile by now.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 11:42 PM
Tom Cat

Bless you for taking care of Sasha! You started out saying you thought she belonged to the neighbors. You have verified she doesn't?
Many cats, especially ones that have fended for themselves, will not stay in a place that only has one opening. If a predator were to come, they'd be trapped. You might try finding a box that is big enough, cut out the bottom, put cushy stuff inside a drape a blanket over it. If it is in a place it could get wet a tarp, or plastic on top. Just enough opening for her to see getting in and out of.
Since she goes in the carrier, is she comfortable with you there when she's inside(?) you don't need a trap. I know it's scary that she might be scared of the carrier after that, but a live trap is scary. Kinda loud when it snaps closed.
I would recommend, when you bring her back from being spayed, put her in a room, or secure space.

I am not a cat lady,
I am The Cat Lady!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

My wife talked to the neighbors. They thought it was our cat
I told my wife before she went that is exactly what they would say.
She is not relaxed when she is in the heated carrier, it was 34 f this morning
and she goes in there but does not sleep deeply. I'm sure she doesn't like the one entrance but it gives her somewhere to go that is warm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smalllr.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	101121  

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sasha has come a long way this week.
She loves her carrier, we have it outside by the back door, it is under the covered patio. She sleeps there every night and is kind of possessive about her little house, if we reach in to check the heating pad temp or take the towels out and give them a shake she gets real close and watches every move..
The big news is that she comes in our house now and acts like she owns
the place She is inside from about 6:00 PM until midnight, then my wife , the early bird lets her in at 4:30 AM until about 8:30 AM .
Next Wednesday, 2 / 10 , she has an appointment to get spayed, wormed and shots, this will be a lot of firsts for her, she has never been in a car, never been carried around, moved in her carrier , she is afraid of other cats and well, she's
afraid of everything. My plan is to cover her carrier with a towel and hope for the best.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Cool Cat

I am sending my very best wishes for a peaceful experience for her!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page