Started feeding ferals now have a major problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Started feeding ferals now have a major problem

I made a huge mistake and started feeding 3 feral cats that showed up at my door last year. Now I have 20 cats that show up every morning looking for food. I've continued feeding them but now it's pout of hand.

I've trapped and had fixed about 8 of them earlier this year hoping that would help but it doesn't seem like it.

Looking for suggestions on how to have them go away, which I doubt I can.

I've thought about trying to stop feeding them all together but thinking that it might make matters worse.I've also thought about getting a big dog but that seems a bit cruel.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Please do not preach about the fact that I should not have started in the first place, I got it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Cool Cat

Lordy. This sounds like something that would happen to me. I have no suggestions, but you do have my sympathy. I've known people to get into trouble feeding raccoons, same kind of thing - start with one, end with 8 and more on the way. Then what?? Somehow I never hear what the solution is.

Let me also add: bless your for your compassionate heart.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 05:23 PM
Cat Addict

They may not all be feral. If there is a feral coalition or agency, you could try giving them a call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 01:23 AM
Kitten

Stop feeding them?
They'll go away.
Also call animal control.

Angel October 16, 2013.
Harley February 10, 2014.
Junior 21, September 2016.
IzzyBelle April 15, 2017.
Eclipse July 17, 2017.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Cool Cat

i totally sympathize as well. You are a very caring and kind human and you're only helping those cats because some other humans caused the problem in the first place long ago with their ignorance. huge thx to you for neutering/spaying as many as you can. it's a "sad" thing that we can never get them all and it only takes 2 to tango so the feral population only grows.

I don't have any suggestions myself except to maybe ask a local shelter if they have any ideas. If anyone does, they definitely would. and I imagine they might have the most "humane" suggestions for you.

thank you again. my heart goes out to you and the ferals you care for.

Maggie & Phoebe
Kitty, Lucy Girl, Bobby Boy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 12:14 AM
Premier Cat

I think a lot of it depends on how much time, effort, and patience you have.

Not feeding them would take care of the problem within a few weeks (they'll come around hoping for quite a while), but I'd have a really hard time doing that, and it sounds like you would too. Animal control could set traps, but you know what the outcome will be.

I'd opt for TNR, as you have so far. It's great that you've already been willing and able to get 8 of them fixed. But even if only 1 of the others is a female, which is unlikely, that's still potentially a LOT of kittens in one year. I would definitely ask every shelter in your area for help with trapping and neutering the others. At the very least, they might lend you traps.

If shelters are overwhelmed, I'd try finding like-minded people. You could put flyers up at pet stores, and vet clinics if they'll allow it, asking for people interested in helping you. I think I'd be likely to respond to a request for help by an individual whereas I might not volunteer for a rescue group. I don't know why - maybe because I sympathize with your position? But I'll bet there are many others like me.

If you're not familiar with nextdoor.com, that's something you could try. There is a section where people can post pics of their pets, and at least in my neighborhood, there are several people who are clearly cat lovers. I'd feel very comfortable posting there asking for help - there are always people posting alerts about lost dogs and cats, and concerned responses from neighbors.

I hope others have suggestions for you as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page