raw diet opinions? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

raw diet opinions?

I've read very good words on the raw diet. Theoretically it sounds great, cats did evolve to eat meat plus, when you make your own food you can be sure that they are getting proper nutrition assuming you get the proper recipe.

My vet is very much against raw diets. She says the risk for bacterial infections is too high especially for things like Salmonella, Camplobacter, and E coli. I can understand that as well. I'm actually a medical student and although the human stomach's pH can go down to 1 during digestion, raw foods are also risky for humans.

But assuming that I am very careful with the source of the meat (I'm thinking of getting whole rabbit carcass cut into chewable pieces since much of the bacterial infection is from grinding meat and mixing meat from an infected animal with meat from other animals), storage, and get a proper recipe, is this ideal compared to highly respected cat food brands like Wellness?

What were the opinions your vets had?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Tom Cat

I have had vets yell at me and say that I will be doing harm to my cats. I just leave them with information that they can't disprove and ended up taking my business elsewhere. To a holistic vet

One thing you have to remember about vets is that they are trained in school to feed commercial dry food. Because they think that is the best. Which as most of us know is a bunch of crap. When they hear raw they panic, for one they are minimally trained in pet nutrition and two they think the risk of possible bacterial infections out ways the benefits that they see in raw if in fact they see any.

If you handle the meat properly you will have no problems. Raw is far more better than any commercialy made product especially dry. There are too many problems with cats these days as a result of feeding dry food. To name a few gingivitises, periodontal disease, obesity, kidney/bladder problems such as UTI, Irritable bowl disorder. If you think about it these are all the risks that you take feeding a dry food. With raw the only real risk is bacterial infections. But do cats get this in the wild, likely not because of good stomach acid.

Now for commercial diet the only thing that can be feed without too many risks is a no or low grain canned food. holistic ones

As for a comparison with raw and holistic diets. Well there are no cooked prey in the wild. Cooking destroys enzymes and vits/min which are found naturally in raw meat and organs. One of the reasons why there is a full line of vit/min added to commercial foods. Also most commercial pet food have high amounts of vegetables or grains which are hard for cats to process and they take very little nutrients from them if any.

So in my opinion raw is the best but next in line would be a good holistic no or low grain canned cat food.

Sorry for it being long. Check your area for a vet trained in holistic care especially raw. Mine tells me she should never have to see my cats just for their yearly checkups. She only wants my business once a year and then doesn't try to sell me any food. Goes to show you how confident she is about raw food. Awesome vet
Take care
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned

Vets are normally against raw diets simply because they don't know anything about them. Didn't learn anything about them in vet school and have no experience with them in practice. So when it comes to something they don't know about and have no experience with naturally they're going to toe the company line.

The whole thing about bacteria is grossly overstated, in my opinion. I'm feeding my cats self-prepared raw, and have for some time now, and other than a couple upchucks at first when they were getting used to it -- which is quite typical of a diet change, especially when done too fast -- I've never had any signs of gastro-intestinal distress AT ALL, and I've gotten less rigid in my preparation with more experience. Cats are much less prone to being affected by bacteria in their food.

BUT......you do have to know what you're doing because straight ground-up meat is NOT nutritionally complete for a cat, so if this is something you want to do, go for it, but do your research first. You might like to do as I do and just feed part raw. Then if you're a little short on the proper nutrients, the commercial food will make up for it.

My primary caveat would be that if you have a cat that isn't in good health, esp. some type of G-I disorder like IBD, or is immune-compromised, then raw might not be appropriate. Consult with a vet, first (if you can find one that knows about raw diets.)

And be prepared for a more active cat. If you don't like your cats flying around the house full of vim and vigor, then don't feed them a raw diet!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:05 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
The whole thing about bacteria is grossly overstated, in my opinion. I'm feeding my cats self-prepared raw, and have for some time now, and other than a couple upchucks at first when they were getting used to it -- which is quite typical of a diet change, especially when done too fast -- I've never had any signs of gastro-intestinal distress AT ALL, and I've gotten less rigid in my preparation with more experience. Cats are much less prone to being affected by bacteria in their food.
Yeah, that Cats have both a shorter digestive tract and a more acidic body pH than we do, and when healthy, are only very rarely susceptible to bacterial infections from their food.

But of course, our vet thought it was a stupid and irresponsible thing to consider It's one of the reasons he's no longer our vet A raw diet completely cured three of our cats of chronic UTI's, so clearly it was a very irresponsible thing to do

I also have to echo what Tim said about energy levels. In addition to a multitude of other health benefits, our cats have been incredibly vibrant since switching to a raw diet.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Banned

Thanks, Emily. Nice to see you back on the board. And your beautiful cats, of course. (I'm still in love with Stephie)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

My vets have respected my choice to raw feed my cats and they haven't made any attempts to try to convince me doing otherwise. My current vet is all for feeding cats meat and canned food (absolutely not dry food) but he's sceptic towards raw meat, because of bacterias. I respect his opinion and he respects mine. Respecting each other is the key. You don't have to have the same beliefs, you just have to respect each others opinions.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
And be prepared for a more active cat. If you don't like your cats flying around the house full of vim and vigor, then don't feed them a raw diet!!
This is so true. Before raw mine would race around a few times a day, after raw they now bounce off the walls for most of the day. I saw my 4 year old go from a semi active adult to a very active kitten.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 08:49 PM

I love to see cats flying around the house full of vim and vigor. It is so entertaining!!!

How can I find a vet in San Diego who will respect my choice to feed raw and canned? Somehow I just know the vets in my nearby area will not support the raw so I'm afraid to even mention it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

I just PM'd you with my vet's info.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: raw diet opinions?

I feed my cats raw, my previous cat was also on raw, my friends' cats in Russia were all on raw/homemade, I read cats forums lately - honestly, I cannot remember one case of cats bacterial infection due to raw diet. So I just wonder whether any of you know/heard of any cat who was on raw and got bacterial infection? There is lots of "smoke" around it, that's true, I just would like to know what's going on "in practice" not just in theory

I've heard (dont' know whether it's true) that cats digest food in 12 hours or so and it takes at least 24 hours for salmonella to develop, and therefore cats cannot get salmonella. Again, I haven't heard of a cat who got salmonella but would love to hear your experience.

One more thing to consider. I do not know anybody who gets the meat when the cow was killed in the morning, and the person got the meat late this morning . I'm sure the meat we get from Costco, supermarkets, butcher's stores etc. were deep frozen long before they came to us. So I hope most if not all parasites and bacterias died before the food gets to us.

I think (may be certanly mistaken) that many vets are NOT really interested in our cats staying healthy till the end of their lives, if our cat is sick the vet financially benefits from it... So IMHO if commercial food diet is bad for the cats, especially in the long run (!) then this is what vet should recommend us in order to stay in business and be successfull. No offence to vets, it is all generalizations, I'm sure there are wonderful vets who love cats etc.

If dry food is so healthy for cats then I wonder why they don't feed lions, tigers and other "big wild cats" in the Zoo with dry kibbles? It would be so much more convenient and cheap, right? Nevertheless they feed them raw meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page