What kinds of raw meats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

What kinds of raw meats?

Hi all

I'm sorry if this has been addresses elsewhere, but I was wondering what kinds of raw meats each of you use for your raw diets?

I am in the planning stages of switching to raw. I used to feed my dog raw until he passed away, and for dogs it was optimal to use as many different meats as possible. He had no problem crushing large bones in his jaws (he was a Great Dane), but with a cat it seems that I may be limited to mainly chicken due to the size of the bones (I plan to grind the bones because none of my cats want anything to do with chewing them up...even my bloodthirsty meat loving cat).

So, what does a typical meal look like at your house? And, will being limited to mainly chicken or rabbit be harmful for them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Tom Cat

Re: What kinds of raw meats?

Cats can live off of just chicken. But variety is always good. I guess meats would be chicken, turkey(might have to crush bones good before grinding), cornish hens (pretty much chicken), rabbit (I wish I could get my hands on some), beef (will need to add a calcium supp or add chicken or turkey bones, beef bones are tough to work with), lamb (again supp with different bones), fish like sardines (some say don't feed at all but I give one meal a week), rodents, and pork (this is a debatable meat, research and decide if you would like to feed it).

Some feed all of these and others will stick to what they might normally consume in the wild like chicken, mice, fish, small turkeys (probably only the bigger of the breeds of cats will be able to take them down), and rabbits.

When I ground my food this is some of the things that went into it. Turkey, hearts, livers, yolks and a few supps

Good luck
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! Hey, do you get your hearts from a butcher? Because I'm having a hard time finding just hearts without a bunch of gizzards mixed in with them.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 11:09 AM

Mmmmmmmmm..... mouse meat....
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

I'd love to give them mice, but I think mice are just too cute...I could never kill one to give it to my cats!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 12:07 PM

Rats as well? They're cute too eh? LOL
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Yep, and smart to boot.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle L
Thank you! Hey, do you get your hearts from a butcher? Because I'm having a hard time finding just hearts without a bunch of gizzards mixed in with them.

Thanks again!
Fyi, I too have not been able to find plain chicken hearts. However adding 4000mg of Taurine is an acceptable substitute as you already know. Over the past year I have been feeding Willie a raw diet, he has done very well with the taurine instead of fresh chicken hearts.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 02:08 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle L
Hey, do you get your hearts from a butcher?
Those hearts came from a local grocery store. Sadly their supplier stop carrying them, and no other store in the area sells them, so I am now adding a Taurine supplement. You probably could get them from a local butcher. But none of mine could get any. If your only feeding one cat and have a butcher that does a lot of business you could probably ask them to save the hearts and you will buy them every week or every other week. Should be able to get enough hearts if that option is possible. Their always is http://www.hare-today.com/product_info. ... ucts_id=66 But shipping can get interesting.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

I'll probably just go the taurine route. I will be feeding 4 cats, and had hoped to be able to use hearts just because I imagine that at least one of my guys would love them. I do have an Amish poultry plant about an hour away from me where I used to buy chicken backs, feet, and necks in bulk for my dog and maybe they can help me out, but if not then taurine will have to do.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page