I think I have hit a goldmine - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I think I have hit a goldmine

My persistance in finding suppliers is starting to pay off.

I contacted another rescue agency in Durban that I have dealt with before and asked them what they feed their cats .. all 200 +-/ ... !!!! hah .. RAW .... whooooopeee.

I will phone her supplier tomorrow , I have to order 100 kg at a time tho ... but thats fine , she does minced chicken /liver/necks and tripe ... and I think that covers all they need.

So all I will need to do is work out what percentage of what and then its a done deal .

Hold thumbs please .

I have also tracked down another lady closer to me with 40 cats that also rescues thats feeding her gang hills, so im busy educating her , and she is very interested in the RAW .. so between us we could save a flippin fortune.

So im going to now find as many cat rescuers as I can and form a RAW thingie , that way we can demand better prices and share info .

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Re: I think I have hit a goldmine

Cool! I wish you the best of luck!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Congratulations! I knew you'd find what you need if you kept searching. I bet you'll dig up other sources, too. If you can get several rescuers on-board, you might even be able to make bulk purchases through restaurant suppliers. I know there are raw feeding co-ops around the U.S. that do that.

If you're fashioning your cats' diet after the Raw Prey Model diet, you'll want to be feeding about 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ. Tripe falls under the category of muscle meat, so you should still keep an eye out for other secreting organs. Here's a list I organized based on information I found on various raw feeding websites, forums, and mailing lists:

Muscle Meats
Any muscle meat
Tongue
Heart
Gizzards
Trachea
skin
stomach (tripe)
lung

Secreting Organs
liver
kidney
spleen
thymus
pancreas
testicles
brain

My biggest problem is finding sources for "other secreting organs". Even when I get all of the guts from area butchers and hunters, I'm still constantly running out of secreting organs because the non-liver organs are so small. I would need the kidneys from a small herd of hogs to equal a single hog liver. I haven't yet figured out what the pancreas or thymus look like, and the spleen doesn't have any more meat than the kidneys. Testicles are generally removed on the farm long before slaughter, and brains aren't removed at all.

You're starting to have fun with this now, I can tell. You're into the treasure hunt!

Good luck!

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks Laurie .. you have been a great help with this ... I can get OX kidneys and they are large .... problem is of course is when I offered nicely fresh chopped liver I was looked at in horror by the crew ...

The organ meats are a relativly small amount tho so ill probably complelty pulverise it and add to the rest of the mix .

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Premier Cat

That's funny because of all of the different meats and animal parts I've offered my cats so far, the only thing that they will all consistently eat first off of their plates is the little piece of liver I give them daily. It doesn't matter what kind of liver it is - beef, pork, chicken, turkey, deer - they love it all. Now kidney is a different matter. Several of my kitty kids are not at all fond of kidney, but I've never had one turn down any kind of liver.

Laurie
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Well im now thrilled... I contacted the supplier in Durban this morning , she has a butcher, but is also a cat person and feeds RAW .... she can provide everything I need ... very inexpensively .. so after working out what I need based on your percentages it will cost me 30% of what im currently feeding them. A 70% saving is huge in anyones currency.

We will make the trip into Durban every two months to collect my meat.

I think what I will do with the liver is liquidise teeny amounts at a time and mix it with their meat mixture , but only tiny amounts at first.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Premier Cat

What fantastic news! I'm so happy for you! Now that you've got a great meat source, be sure to take advantage of whatever variety they can provide. The more different types of meat and organs you can expose your cats to, the less picky they'll be likely to become about what they'll eat. Also, variety is a good way of ensuring that you're feeding a nutritionally balanced diet. What one meat may lack in certain nutrients another meat will probably make up.

I'm so glad you're having such success finding inexpensive meat sources. Good work!

Laurie
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Well the entire chicken is minced , head/feet tripes the whole thing ..

ox kidney/liver/heart/chicken liver/necks. and then the tripe sold seperately.

She is going to try and get the other things I want but I think its a good mixture for starters.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Premier Cat

That's a great mix for starters! Your cats are going to thrive on their new diet!

Laurie
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Premier Cat

A saving of 70%?!?! That is wonderful for you and your band of merry troublemakers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page