Tyson and his tummy and this RAW diet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Tyson and his tummy and this RAW diet

Although Tyson was treated for Giardia and the pong from his poo has gone (the very stinky pong) his stool remains a sloppy heap .

Im not too concerned , because he is so healthy otherwise , and its only one heap a day , but im really hoping that this RAW diet will sort it out.

He remains on probiotics. So we shall see.

Any other ideas for this sloppy poo??? Should I be worried ???? he is dewormed, no sign of illness at all , eats very well , and as you all know is hyperactive. im wondering id he wont perhaps grow out of it ???

I do monitor this situation constantly for any changes .

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Re: Tyson and his tummy and this RAW diet

Have you treated him for coccidia? That would be my next step. Both giardia and coccidia can cause diarrhea - often bloody diarrhea - and both can be very difficult to diagnose through fecal exams.

Laurie
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I asked my vet about cocidea when I took him the first time, he reckons he looks and behaves too healthy ... a kitty with coccidea would be unwell ??? He is also a very heavy little boy.

There is no blood in his poo either , its a normal stool apart from the fact that its sloppy ..no slime either .. a tad confusing isnt it ?

I have become paranoid about his poo and study every event carefully.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

if it helps we had a kitten where I used to work - he came from the shelter at about 9 weeks or so. Tiny, skinny but super playful and perky. He had diarrhea. The owner brought him in constantly - we tested and tested and tested and medicated and changed foods and nothing seemed to work.

Finally at about 4 months old the owner just couldn't take cleaning her house anymore and she turned him over to us. My vet had read and article that suggested the Nature's Variety raw patties (cooked of course ) could help. A co-worker of mine took him home that weekend, I bought a bag of the frozen raw and he loved it (raw of course!) Monday when she brought him back - NORMAL STOOLS!

I don't know exactly what happened wit him. Last I heard he was still there but not doing well - he was growing, stools were normal but there were serious abnormalities in his bloodwork that led them to thinking he had some serious infection going on somewhere. I think the poor thing was just a sickly little kitten that never got the start he needed. But it was my real first hand "miracle" if you will of a raw diet

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I have a feeling that this tummy problem is a food issue .. not bad enough to cause actual diareah(sp) but enough to cause the slops ...its also not constant .. at the most two sloppy heaps in 24 hours .

His weight is excellant and is otherwise healthy .. and extremly playful. The raw diet starts the 24 .. so im intersted to see what happens.

I dont have to clean up after him because he is paranoid about a clean "potty" so as long as his potty is spotless we are fine.

I do know that he had severe malnutrion and was on a special diet for a week before he came to me ... the hills AD for sickly kitties? Poor little mite was in a bad way ...

2 boxers Miki & Monty
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 PM

Did Tyson have this problem before you got him? How long have you had him and has he had this problem the whole time?

I'll give you a bit of background with my experience with this type of situation....
My male cat Bishop had constant diarrhea for YEARS....the vet had him on Medical hypoallergenic and Royal Canin Sensitivity or calorie control (he has a weight problem). He also took medication everytime the flair up got really bad. The vet just passed it off that Bishop had a sensitive stomach. Over the MANY years the diarrhea continually came back. I felt so bad for Bishop because I could not do anything for him. That was until I started reading what kind of ingredients were in cat food. And how many cats can not handle grains, fillers, meat by products, etc. That's when I started reading up on Raw diets for cats. I started transitioning him slowly with a mix of his canned food and Urban Carnivore whole chicken carcass patties. After about a month on the mix his diarrhea started clearing up. He finally was having consistant firm stools. Once he was completely on raw his diarrhea subsided. And has been gone for almost 5 months. I now purchase my own meat/organs/bones instead of commercial patties. I feel the best decision I ever made was putting him on a raw diet. In the beginning I fed him more bone with the whole chicken carcasses (higher bone content) just to firm up his stool but have since decreased the bone as his stools can get quite hard.

I hope the switch for you produces the same results!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Tyson is only 12 weeks old , and he was found in the street at approx. 3 weeks of age .... and yes he had diareah (sp) then as well ..I have had him on the hills and royal canin for sensitive tummies / tinned foods have the same result .

We cant get the better quality cat foods here . I have also had him on proboitics and an immune booster for the past month.

If I could get my meat order now I would , but it has to wait .... I did notice a slight improvement with the various raw items I tried on my gang , but of course it wasnt over a long enough period to really see a difference.

Im paranoid about disinfecting potties and any areas where he has mishaps , so there cant be any bugs lingering . And he is also my only cat with this problem , so IMO I seriously doubt there is a "bug"involved. They all hunt , but they are hunting bugs in the house , I seldom see any of them with a mouse .... maybe once every few months.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 PM

Awww - poor little Tyson

Have you tried him on a grain free canned food? The Royal Canin has grains and I am sure the Hills has grains as well. This may be causing the upset...While you are waiting for the meat to arrive try adding small pieces of meat into the canned as well. This may help his stomach/intestines to start to calm down....
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Ill have to see if I can get grain free , I have never seen it....that would also only be available in the city .... (where my meat is)

we are so far from the beaten track here its just not funny....im going into our tiny town on Saturday .. so ill get some people meat and chop that up for him.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 PM

I see you have a girl cat named Lexie....my girl cats name is Lexus (aka Lexy)

Try some meat with very tiny bone - ie: tiny piece of chicken rib with a hunk of meat attached, quail, cornish game hen. Do not feed too much bone but a few pieces attached over a couple of days if Tyson will eat. Bone helps firm up the stool. Let us know what you pick up....

Now when I have to feed canned I feed Wellness grain free. I am not sure if you will have where you live. Just look at the ingredients on the can and make sure it doesn't contain wheat/ wheat gluten, corn, rice, bone meal and the first couple of ingredients should contain mainly meat (terms like chicken meal, turkey meal, meat by-products, etc. do not cut it in the meat dept.). I hope someone can chime in with other grain free canned food they feed their cats that may be available in South Africa...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page