Another meat question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Another meat question

My bulk order has arrived and I must say im impressed .. I just need to know what else to add. Is it necessary to add anything else??? variety is expensive but what I do is once a week chop some liver and kidneys for them . My freezer is now also completly full , so there isnt room for variety.

What it seems they do is do simply remove the feathers from laid out cornish hens and then chop the entire chicken .... brains, liver , the tripes the entire lot.... now its roughly chopped so the cats have to have a good chew ... im just wondering tho.. would the amount of organ meat in one chicken be enough ????

Tyson doesnt tolerate beef either he loves kidneys but it gives him the runs ... so with him its a bit of a problem. I sincerly hope he is going to grow out of all these "tummy"issues.

The other thing there is quite a bit of bone , but would it be too much ??? im not sure it looks like more meat but if it causes constipation what veggies could I add.... cooked pumpkin /carrots etc ???? my cats all eat veggies and how much veg .

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Re: Another meat question

the amount of bone doesnt seem to be as much as I thought . it would seem the packs are 90% meat .

I do know the cats love this mixture more than the other I had which was pure mince.. and very fine mince at that.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Tom Cat

If it has bone, muscle meat, liver and other secreting organs then you needn't add anything--maybe some fish oil if you aren't feeding fish.

No veggies!! If they get constipated add some more liver.

Variety is key, just because one food source isn't likely to have all the nutrients--but I would think that if chicken is all you can offer its better than commercial pet foods.

I feed beef, pork, venison, turkey and chicken currently.

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

If Tyson can't handle a lot of liver and kidney at one meal, then try what I do - give a very small piece of liver and kidney (or other secreting organ) daily. That way you won't overwhelm his sensitive stomach with too much rich organ meat all at once.

If you have constipation problems at any time with any of the cats, just make sure you give that cat more muscle meat and organ and less bone until the stool has softened sufficiently. You can also feed a little canned or cooked pure pumpkin to help soften stool.

Laurie
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks .... He has no problem with the chicken organs tho .. only the beef.. so when I give the rest of the gang their weekly pork/kidney and lamb liver and kidney ill just give tyson extra chicken liver and hearts etc.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page