Raw Food Chart - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Raw Food Chart

I didnt realize till yesterday that raw food area was on the forum.
I need to visit this area more. I came across a raw food chart on
Dr Yassons website I was reading
thru. Thought it might be a good resource for those who are looking into
the raw diet. (im not yet)

http://www.holvet.net/raw_pet_diet.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Raw Food Chart

That's a new forum, Merry. Some of the members requested it, and we had to wait until Catman came back to get it started. The first posts were transferred from Health and Nutrition.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Senior Cat

Wonderful link, Merry.

Although, I think you'll find a lot of us raw feeders don't agree that grains/veggies/fruit have a place in the carnivores diet.

Also, there are studies that show that cats fed an ONLY ground raw diet will develop heart problems and possibly pass away because of them (not enough taurine in ground meats).

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Banned

Merry, I have to agree with Muzby. That might be a chart OK for dogs; they're not 100% obligate carnivores as cats are. Salmon isn't the greatest, either for cats. Bone meal has its problems. And a crucial point about taurine. Don't feel bad, though.....raw feeding is a whole new world. There's an awful lot to learn. Accolades, ruffles and flourishes, with bowties, top hats and garters for Cat Forum adding a raw feeding forum.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

Way too much veggies for a cat. Probably OK for a dog that needs a low energy diet, but too much veggies for a cat. I'd like to see more natural viatmin and mineral sources (such as liver, heart, kidneys etc.) instead of multivitamin supplements.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Tom Cat

Agreed Agreed and Agreed

Leslie
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Premier Cat

My guess would be that if you compared 10 homeopathic vets' diets, they'd all be different. And we all know that conventional vets get little training in nutrition for cats! To be honest, I think people making their own cat food are taking a huge risk. The right diet for a cat is not an easy task.

I would not feed my cat raw meat, but I have seen some holistic vets' articles saying that you can cook the meat if you want, but it's not necessary. In that case, I would buy a good brand of complete cat food, that is, canned cat food. These companies have really studied the subject, and the subject is one that needs study.

I do not mean to be critical, but I do not understand why anyone would take the chance, considering the complexity of the needs of a cat. It's not easy.

I am not against effective homeopathic medicine, just to clarify. I am treating Blueberry with a medication that has been known to help cats with FIP, and praying it will be effective. If it works, it's good, whether traditional or homeopathic.

Jeanie

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
.... These companies have really studied the subject, and the subject is one that needs study..
Oh, I agree with that 100% -- they've studied to the nth degree exactly how little actual nutrition they can provide for the highest cost.

Jeanie, I've worked in a meat-processing plant (summers in college) and that meat gets frozen and cooked and frozen and cooked and finally gets canned and sterilized under tremendously high temperature, and so I can assure you that if you feed your cat fresh-cooked meat it will be as safe as canned cat food and tremedously more nutritious.

Raw-feeding has risks that commercial cat food doesn't. But I'm convinced that they can be effectively dealt with by anybody who does their research, so they know proper handling and they know how to make sure the cat gets proper nutrition. IF they do those things, then raw-feeding should be safe for a cat who has no counter-indicated health issues.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Premier Cat

Research is the key, of course, and it is the key to homemade foods also. I'm urging research here. Personally, I wouldn't trust homemade food as the cat's daily diet, but I wouldn't tell others what to do.

Tim, are you suggesting that there are no reputable pet food companies? That's quite an accusation. There are a lot of companies, and absolutes are not usually true.

Jeanie

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Senior Cat

I think what he's saying is that no matter what the company, they need to make a bottom line.

Even companies like EVO, Orijen, etc.. they ( I would assume ) likely know that cats are carnivores and therefore need meat, and yet, they put veggies/fruit/etc in their foods still. Gotta make the bottom line, right? Sure, some of them (EVO) have 95% meat versions now, but they still sell versions with all the stuff cats don't need.

If any company was reputable they'd be doing what is best for the cats. That is feeding them what nature intended and nothing else. Cooked meat loses taurine and other things the cats NEED to stay healthy, sure they add it back in, but why suppliment something that comes FREE in the meat in the first place? Canned and kibble foods cause tooth decay because they can't CLEAN the teeth like raw bones.

A cat diet is NOT that difficult with the correct research. Took us a few months to figure it out properly, and as scary as it seems, almost anyone (with some guidance) could do this wonderfully. I don't think ANY raw feeder would suggest NO research.. we push educating yourself, not just listening to companies/vets/etc.

Kelly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page